Sodium hydroxide in pellet form?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alan_ogz83

Reaction score
Hi to all,

I am totally new to soap making and I am aiming to try on the cold process soaps first.

The country I am in is quite difficult to gain access to sodium hydroxide and today finally I managed to find a company which is selling it in pellet form.

However, the research I made usually uses in powdered form so I am a bit confused here. Can someone guide me as in whether I am able to use it for my CP soaps and do I just weigh them on the scale?

Sorry I know my questions are a bit stupid but I just want to ensure everything goes smoothly.

Thanks in advance for reading my message.

How big are the pellets? If they are fairly small, just weigh them like you would the other lye and dissolve in the liquid.

lsg said:
How big are the pellets? If they are fairly small, just weigh them like you would the other lye and dissolve in the liquid.

Yes they are quite small.
Ok sure thanks for your advise!

yeah thats fine, its all I use.. its basically 100% NaOH (sodium hydroxide) the extra 1% is basically environmental moisture since NaOH is hydrophilic (meaning it LOVES water and attracts moisture...which is also why it is so important to keep it in an air tight and moisture free container, and a dry storage area)

Back