SMF October 2024 Challenge - Flannel and Knit

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How are everyone's soaps coming along? I remade soap for embeds this morning, trying to get the right color. It didn't get as dark as I hoped, but it should work, and it definitely isn't purple this time!😀
Tomorrow is a busy day, but hopefully I can squeeze in some time in the afternoon to assemble another Buffalo plaid attempt.

Are you going to skip step 2?😁

I'd better get busy! Apples come tomorrow.🙈
I started making my soap then ended up harvesting a deer. Hubs and I took care of that and I finished up making the soap. It’s tucked away in the box where I force gel. Will probably cut this afternoon, when I take a break from the deer. I took a little different approach to this soap, hint, it involves soap dough.
Have fun with the apples!

I started making my soap then ended up harvesting a deer. Hubs and I took care of that and I finished up making the soap. It’s tucked away in the box where I force gel. Will probably cut this afternoon, when I take a break from the deer. I took a little different approach to this soap, hint, it involves soap dough.
Have fun with the apples!
Autumn is such a busy time of year! I still have 11 goats, 2 sheep, 50 chickens and a dozen rabbits to put in the freezer "before winter". Yikes!

Autumn is such a busy time of year! I still have 11 goats, 2 sheep, 50 chickens and a dozen rabbits to put in the freezer "before winter". Yikes!
That’s a lot to get done! I’m guessing goats and sheep are similar to deer? Chickens aren’t so bad but they do take time. We always skinned instead of plucking.

Fall is one of my favorite times of year but it’s definitely a busy time. We lost a few trees in a recent storm so yesterday also included limping and cutting a tree that had fallen. Today is a Motrin day.

That’s a lot to get done! I’m guessing goats and sheep are similar to deer? Chickens aren’t so bad but they do take time. We always skinned instead of plucking.

Fall is one of my favorite times of year but it’s definitely a busy time. We lost a few trees in a recent storm so yesterday also included limping and cutting a tree that had fallen. Today is a Motrin day.
Yes, goats, sheep, deer - all very similar. However, I usually debone and grind them, first to save freezer space and second, because ground meat goes farther than steaks and such. I am excited to harvest the leaf tallow from the goats and sheep! I haven't used sheep tallow before, but goat tallow is twice as cleansing as beef tallow and it makes a really nice soap! We have chicken processing equipment which makes plucking a breeze! It can pluck 2 birds clean in 30 seconds. That's the only way we can process several hundred chickens a year.

I haven’t signed up for this yet because I didn’t want to purchase a new texture mat and didn’t want to make red and black soap, even though I love to buy buffalo plaids for my husband. I’m about to embark on a major soaping marathon to donate in December for the food pantry, and the church fundraiser. Out of curiosity, I looked to see what other versions of plaid are out there that might qualify for the challenge and found some color options I might actually like to try.
IMG_6091.jpeg

The article suggests dark colors other than black and gray to use in the plaids. Is anyone else working on plaid for this challenge? Are you using black and red, or another combination?

Last edited:
I haven’t signed up for this yet because I didn’t want to purchase a new texture mat and didn’t want to make red and black soap, even though I love to buy buffalo plaids for my husband. I’m about to embark on a major soaping marathon to donate in December for the food pantry, and the church fundraiser. Out of curiosity, I looked to see what other versions of plaid are out there that might qualify for the challenge and found some color options I might actually like to try.
View attachment 79443
The article suggests dark colors other than black and gray to use in the plaids. Is anyone else working on plaid for this challenge? Are you using black and red, or another combination?
I'm trying for brick red and natural/cream. My first attempt was chocolate brown/cream, but my third in-between color didn't have enough contrast. This brown and cream is what I was aiming for. Here's another bunch of color options I found as well.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20241007_055613_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20241007_055613_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    293.1 KB
  • Screenshot_20241017_195724_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20241017_195724_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    689.2 KB

Latest posts

Back