Sinking lip balm

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a two cup stainless steel measuring cup that I use to melt and pour out of. I tried the pipette and it just made me frustrated. This stays warm but I melt at very low heat and keep it at low heat. I have to have a steady hand, but since I bought the filler tray I don't have to so much.

I pour mine a hair under the top, let that sink down and go back and top them off so the hole is filled up. I have never had a piece break off. It melts it enough that it sticks together.

Have you ever tried hitting the tops of the balms with a heat gun just to melt it a little then refill to the top? It's a similar process with candle making.

I've tried it and it works for me but I have a softer recipe so I don't know how it would work for you folks with the real solid balms. I hit it with a little heat, and only top it enough to cover the dimple. Just to round it off so to speak.

:D

When I make lip balm, I melt the balm in these silicone egg poachers:

http://www.amazon.com/Fusionbrands-3-In ... 505&sr=8-1

I float the poachers in a pot of barely simmering water and melt the balm in them. When ready to pour, I take the poacher out of the pot and wipe the water off the outside with a cloth. As I'm gently patting the water off (which only takes a few seconds), I choose a side of the poacher that I'll pour the balm from, and then I squeeze the opposite sides of the poacher in on that side so that it forms a lip or spout of sorts, and then I pour into my tube. The poacher really makes for easy-peasy pouring with zero wastage. I can't say the same for the pipette method I used to use (I got a lot of wastage with the pipettes).

I pour only 3/4 of the way up my tube at first and then I place the poacher back in the pot to keep the remaining balm warm and melted while I stick my partially filled tube in the freezer. I keep it in the freezer for only a few minutes- just long enough until the balm sinks and hardens somewhat (but doesn't get too hard- very important). Then I take my tube out of the freezer and top it off, making sure to pour carefully so as to keep the surface tension of the melted balm intact so that it forms a nice dome on top, and then I let cool and harden up.

Needless to say, this procedure of mine will no doubt prove very tedious for those who are making large batches of balm at a time, but if you're making small batches like me (one to four balms at a time), it works quite nicely.

IrishLass :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have two of those! Never ever used 'em for eggs - they've been in the drawer in the kitchen only because they are far too cool to throw away!

Now you've got me thinking!

carebear said:
I have two of those! Never ever used 'em for eggs - they've been in the drawer in the kitchen only because they are far too cool to throw away!

Now you've got me thinking!

I've never used mine for eggs either! :lol:

IrishLass :)

Silicon egg poachers are a FANTASTIC idea!
Especially for small batches. Also, I bet they're a heck of a lot easier to clean than anything else.
Thanks, I'm totally stealing your method, IrishLass :)

Back