Silicone molds, gelling ECT :)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crafty86

Reaction score
I made my 5th batch last night! I put some pink mica in this time. It turned orange though :? Kinda disapointing! But oh well. OK I got a new silicone mold from wholesale supplies. It said it was a 40-44 oz mold.

http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/Pr ... +Mold+1501

That one. I made 33 oz batch + water and lye. I figured I would be safe with that. But it was way to much, so i pour then let the rest sit and then when it was managable I kinda blobbed it on top. Think "Lyn" tops. HAHA. So i didn't cover it because I didnt wanna mess the tops up. Went back about 10 min later to see a HUGE crack right down the middle, so I kinda smudged it around and covered up the whole put saran wrap over it and wrapped it up in a towel. This morning I went and looked and I dont SEE the crack...but I guess it could still be there when I go to cut..I dunno. But my main question is I know alot of you don't gel. I dont like the color it turned after it gelled. How do you NOT gel? Whats the difference? I loved the color when I poured...now not so much :roll: haha oh well! we live and we learn!

I usually gel, but I have found that the batches I've made that did not go to gel were when I soaped cool and used slow moving FOs. I find that fast moving FO will sometimes overheat as well. I think many people who don't get, put their soap in the freezer or fridge to prevent gel.

Which FO did you use? Some can make the soap hotter. Keep good notes so next time you make the same batch, you will know that this FO could overheat. I put my soaps in the fridge or the freezer to help prevent gel.

PS. Some micas do morph.

I have a different 40 ounce mold from WSP but 40 ounces fills it right up to the top. WIth 33 ounces of oils, I'm sure you had more than 7 additional ounces of water and lye to add to that, which is why it went over.

Post some pictures when you cut it!

I figured it was overheating. I'm going to try and put it in the freezer next time! I used Pink Cotton Candy from WSP. I used about .7oz.

Ok so I went home at lunch...and I can't get it out :roll: I've got it in the freezer when I get home it should pop out..I HOPE!

Pink Cotton Candy FO probably has vanillin in it and that will affect the color of your soap. It may be that your colorant would morph from pink to orange anyhow (which one did you use by the way?). Many reds/pinks are not soap stable and will morph to orange. But the browning from the FO combined with the colorant will definitely give you a different color than you'd expect. That might have more to do with the result you got than the gelling.

If you used .7 oz for 33 oz of oils, that's about half of a typical usage rate (generally .7 oz PPO) so the fragrance might end up fainter than you like.

As mentioned earlier, 40-44 ounces is the weight of the soap including lye and water. Oils typically make up about 70% of the soap mixture. For the WSP molds 27-28 ounces of oils is just about right.

The molds also take awhile to break in. Gently loosen the sides, then break the suction on the bottom with the palm of your hand. Don't use your fingers or you might dent your soap. Ask me how I know! Although if you put it in the freezer, you shouldn't have any problems.

Good luck!

length x width x height x .4 = amount of oils needed. See sticky above. I always add an ounce or two more cause I like high tops.

I also find the silicone molds to season a little. The more you use it the easier it will be to get out. If it is still soft, wait awhile - you will leave dents. As with the previous poster....ask me how I know.

Latest posts

Back