Salting out soap scraps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benjamin

Reaction score
@DeeAnna in an attempt to keep the kids occupied this evening, we used your tutorial to salt out about 800g of soap scraps. It worked beautifully and was terrific fun. The kids had a blast and the kitchen was destroyed. Perfect project. We will try using the crumbles in a Ciaglia soap.

View attachment IMG_1281.jpeg

View attachment IMG_1283.jpeg

I'm glad you had a good time and it worked out well for you. The soap turned out light colored and clean looking -- nice job!

Every time I salt-out soap, it seems to behave a little differently, so I remind myself to be flexible and open minded about the process.

I hadn't thought to use the reclaimed soap in a Ciaglia batch or confetti batch, but that's a grand idea.

I'm glad you had a good time and it worked out well for you. The soap turned out light colored and clean looking -- nice job!

Every time I salt-out soap, it seems to behave a little differently, so I remind myself to be flexible and open minded about the process.

I hadn't thought to use the reclaimed soap in a Ciaglia batch or confetti batch, but that's a grand idea.
I messed up and used about 2x the water you recommended. I was worried it wouldn’t work, but it came out fine. It was a great use for a leftover box of hardened canning soap. I’ll let you know how the confetti/ciaglia works!

...used about 2x the water you recommended...

Salting-out is based on the fact that adding table salt (sodium chloride) to a soap and water mixture will cause the soap to become insoluble.

If you use more water, all that means is you had to add more salt to make the larger amount of water sufficiently salty.

Other than the added cost of the salt, no harm done. It's a pretty forgiving process.

I'm tickled that people are having fun with this.

Salting-out is based on the fact that adding table salt (sodium chloride) to a soap and water mixture will cause the soap to become insoluble.

If you use more water, all that means is you had to add more salt to make the larger amount of water sufficiently salty.

Other than the added cost of the salt, no harm done. It's a pretty forgiving process.

I'm tickled that people are having fun with this.
That makes total sense, and what I hoped was the case. I had a bunch of old pickling salt just waiting for a project. It took close to 800g.

Ok, I gave ciaglia/confetti a try. I colored the base with activated charcoal in hopes of a granite look. We’ll see how it turns out.

Attachments

• IMG_1287.jpeg
    IMG_1287.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Back