Salt Bar

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine are 100% CO, 20% SF, and 50% weight of oils in salt. The lather is too harsh for me until at least 8 months of cure. But I really start loving them around a year. I have some right now that are almost 2 years old - the lather is amazing.
Do you have to do anything different when making your salt bars? Is it just your standard 100% CO recipe apart from the adding of the salt? Edited to add: and a higher super fat maybe.

I have made salt bars every since I started soaping, This is my recipe
45% CO
40% PKO or 85% CO
10% Castor
5% SAO
18% Superfat EDTA & SG for a total of 1% batch weight
Sorbitol 1.1% batch weight
Oatmeal
100% Salt per oil weight
Sometimes I add in charcoal, age min of 6 months, I prefer 8-12 months cure time for salt bars.

I have made salt bars every since I started soaping, This is my recipe
45% CO
40% PKO or 85% CO
10% Castor
5% SAO
18% Superfat EDTA & SG for a total of 1% batch weight
Sorbitol 1.1% batch weight
Oatmeal
100% Salt per oil weight
Sometimes I add in charcoal, age min of 6 months, I prefer 8-12 months cure time for salt bars.
Thank you. @AliOop also mentioned a relatively long cure time, so I assume that’s standard practice. I might have to have a bash at a salt bar in the morning.

Thank you. @AliOop also mentioned a relatively long cure time, so I assume that’s standard practice. I might have to have a bash at a salt bar in the morning.
You can certainly use them sooner but they will become milder and lather longer with a long cure time. I had to use long cure times because I liked to use 100% salt sometimes even more. Also, remember to use x-fine or fine salt and no Himalayan salt. Himalayan tends to have clay in it that will tear up your skin and any grind coarser than fine will abrase the skin. When I started making salt bars they were just starting to become popular and I can guarantee I made every mistake one could make before I figured them out. This is why I add in some oatmeal to add a little extra scrub but salt water is a natural exfoliant so when the salt in the bar melts while using it it does exfoliate it is just not scrubby.

Yes, I used 20% SF and very finely ground pink salt (from Costco). My normal SF is 2% so it's 10x for salt bars.
You are braver than me, I hate any pink salt in my bars but I am using 100% salt, and any Himalayan I have used has contained clay. Have you ever tried dissolving that salt and see if there is any leftover clay? Maybe their salt is better sifted or something.

Latest posts

Back