Rustic or Perfect soap!?!?!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agail06

Reaction score
I was just wondering....I am just getting into soap and trying to sell it. I prefer more of the rough cuts of soap, than trying to make the bars look perfect. I like to call them more "rustic". What sells better perfect or rustic? I just don't have many people to get opinions from. I am not sure if people want to tell the truth or not. Cuz they think they might hurt my feelings. Please some honest opinions!!

Oh boy. The issue of selling soap when you're new to making it generates some very heated discussion on this forum. There is a sticky on this forum that is a good reference for things you should know or be prepared for if you are going to sell your products.

I don't sell, but I think people prefer the "perfect" look as you describe it over the rustic look when they're buying. But there is a market for everything and preferences vary extremely widely.

I don't know what sells better? I don't sell. But, rushing into selling is not a wise thing to do! Do you have proven recipes? Have bars that are 6, 9 or 12 months old? How are they holding up? Do you have insurance?

I've only been soaping since October. I do want to sell, I have people asking if I will sell. But, I'm just not ready. It's not something you just jump into for a quick buck.

I'm not trying to be a downer...just being honest. I'm sure the MODS will have more to say.

Agree - the phrase "just getting into" and the word "selling" don't really belong together - except with the "someday" caveat! When you have some good experience under your belt and a few things in order - Hope things go fantastically for you!

Regarding perfect v rustic. I do NOT like rustic. I don't. I started some sort of war of words for using "sloppy" or the like when discussing this some time ago, but won't back down that to ME, most "rustic" soaps look just plain unprofessional. This said, others don't necessarily feel the same way.

However - constancy is also a huge factor in selling - you need to be able to produce a product that looks the same time and again. And frankly, I find that easier to do with "perfect". But that's me.

Despite the changes to the zodiac, I'm still a Virgo LOL.

rustic or perfect.... I would say that would depend on your market and packaging.

Make some of both, give it to friends and ask for their honest opinions.

Deda said:
Newbie has given you some very good advice.

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/forum/vi ... hp?t=17621

I realize you're very new here, but please take a tiny bit of time and read the stickys posted at the beginning of each forum. They are there for a reason.

Newbie, you're fine. I didn't notice which forum the OP was posted in. I was directly referring to what Carebear pointed out. "Just starting" and "selling".

I can only assume that someone who posts that is trying to start a fire.
It's the mods job to put them out.

I definitely prefer a finished looking bar with beveled edges, I've received some really nice rustic soaps in swaps and such but the smooth and finished ones are just my preference.

I like smooth most of time but now and than I do a hot process or rebatch and I am learning to really like them as well.Sorry not much help I know.

Thanks for all the help!! And let me clarify on the "just getting into" phrase. I am just getting into the selling portion of the soap. I have been making it for myself for about 2 yrs now, but I would just put it in a loaf pan and cut it into pieces that for me or my friends and family didn't have to be pretty . I just always made the same recipe with different EO's, cuz I am big into Young Living EO Company and always just kept the soap white. I am just now experimenting with different colors and FO and some of the batches are not the best,but I have improved on the coloring and FO's 100% . But I just can't find a mold that I am totally happy with, I have tryed several different things and the "rustic" look is really the only thing I am happy with. Maybe I am a little to "redneck"!

I personally make a clean soap (pun intended) but I think you can make a really nice rustic bar as long as the packaging is right. I would consider - brown natural paper, twine, hemp, even burlap. Possibly calico fabric or vintage looking paper. The concept makes me think of products sold at Cracker Barrel (not their soap) or something found in "Grandma's attic". Good luck! My experience is, no matter how many amazing ingredients I use or thoughtful packaging, the customers want something that smells great! And face it, after a couple of uses in the shower it will be smooth anyway. :lol:

Opalgirl...............I have burlap sacs, but I have seen the wrapping paper on soaps. But can you use just any wrapping paper (like Xmas) for wrapping the soap or will the soap "bleed" into the paper. I was at a convention a while back and a lady had her soap wrapped in chenelle (not sure if that is spelled right) bedspreads and it looked like the material was wet or oily.

Also, instead of trying to figure out what people want, a wonderful rule of thumb is to focus on creating what you love. What you find beautiful, what makes you happy, what overall look and feel gets you most excited.

There will always be people on both sides of any coin which is great, you can't please all tastes and diversity is fantastic.

Create something that is true to you and make it the very best it can be,
you'll find customers appreciating your work!

i agree, you need to find something that you love. i have been doing CP for just under 2 years now and it really took me a long time to get a look that said "me". i tried swirls, white, layers, poofy tops, flat tops, unscented... you name it, but i wasn't satisfied. i finally stopped and tried to figure out what i liked best. it isn't what everyone else does, it doesn't compare to the awesomeness of some of the bars looks here *cough* Lyn, but my soaps make me happy and i love to create them. :D

For myself when buying soap I prefer the same regular size, then you know what your getting everytime. No surprises.

Relle.

LadyM said:
Also, instead of trying to figure out what people want, a wonderful rule of thumb is to focus on creating what you love. What you find beautiful, what makes you happy, what overall look and feel gets you most excited.

There will always be people on both sides of any coin which is great, you can't please all tastes and diversity is fantastic.

Create something that is true to you and make it the very best it can be,
you'll find customers appreciating your work!

This is great advice.

Selling is not just about making soap and making a buck. It's about marketing. You need to decide what venue you will use to sell. Shows? Craft Fairs? Farmer's Markets? Online? Store? Wholesale? Retail? Combinations of those? And who is your target market? Blue collar, upscale, teens, yuppies?

I am just starting to sell, as well. My venue is our local FM. I package in different colored parchment paper. I would say it looks rustic and homey, but not unprofessional. It works for this venue and can still work for other venues, except upscale shops. I'm happy with it. I choose only eo's and no artificial colorants (no micas, no pigments, no lab colors). Are my soaps as dazzling as some? No. And that works for me. I want people to USE my soap, not let it sit around and look pretty. I do some swirls and some layers, yes, but no textured tops, and no "stuff" ON my soap; IN, yes. This works for me. Maybe it will change in time, maybe not. But I am happy.

Regarding wrapping in paper, my soap does not bleed out onto the paper. I would say if you saw that, it was bad soap. I, too, was worried about that when I first started thinking about packaging.

Good luck to you.

Agreed. In trying to find my look and what I love to make I tried many different papers and never had a soap bleed onto the paper. (although never tried wrapping paper) Believing in what you sell will sell your soap. Do what's fun for you.

Back