PVC Pipe Mould?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waychie

Reaction score
I have just purchased a pvc pipe mould (just a small one) to try and am wondering what the best way to line it, or if any lining is needed?

I feel this is a silly question, but I remember reading somewhere a soaper didn't use lining and just popped it in the freezer and the soap slid right out

Thanks for your help!

Am a newbie myself, but there is a video on soapmaking on you tube that the lady pours her soap mixture into pvc pipe that she coated with vaseline.

HTH.

x

:D hi there!

this has to be one of my favorite molds-i use it for samples and test batches on f/o's and colors.

hubby cut me 6-2" x 12". i use waxed paper and it works womderful! just tape the bottom with masking tape with a cut out circle the size of the tube for the bottom. the wax paper is 12", so all you have to do is cut a piece wide enough to just overlap. (i'm not at home, but i think it was 7.25" i don't even tape it. the natural curve of the paper will settle to the sides of your mold.

www.soapersmarket.com has a volume calculator for both square and round (tube) molds.

i don't know if it's just luck or not, but with myf/o's and recipe, they seem to be self insulating. i don't need to wrap them. (i soap 90-100 degrees with this)

they pop right ou the next day. i usually let them "rest a few days then slice.

hope this helps! :D

thanks guys for your help! :D

Hmm wax paper, not sure where I would find that here in Australia...but I have freezer paper which is apparently fine for lining wooden log mould, maybe I'll give that a go

I just use 12" of pvc with a test cap for the end. Once everything is set up and firm I use two tin cans (white gravy with sausage and corned beef hash, respectively) and plunge the sucker out of there. No lining, no fuss. Works like a charm.

x

waychie said:
thanks guys for your help! :D

Hmm wax paper, not sure where I would find that here in Australia...but I have freezer paper which is apparently fine for lining wooden log mould, maybe I'll give that a go

almost forgot!

vinyl shelf paper liner works great too, and it's reuseable! :D

I used to use vaseline and the freezer method with varying degrees of success. But no matter what, I often still had those batches that just would not budge and took a lot of strength to PUSH out sorta like Imblebee describes.

Then I discovered plastic chopping mats. They are basically a thin, strong and flexible sheet of plastic that people use for chopping vegetables etc. They usually come in different translucent colors in a pack of 4 or 5 for a few dollars.

What I do is insert the plastic mat inside the PVC tube and mark it then cut it to size so it is a perfect liner for the tube. I cut it so the ends inside the tube meet up exactly and only a little bit sticks out the top... if that makes sense.

I have one for each of my PVC molds and since they are reusable almost infinitely you should only need to do this one time. When you are ready to unmold, the soap slides out easily EVERY TIME. The plastic peels off the soap and pops back to it's original flatness for storage... and of course cleans up very easily.

After using this the first time I kicked myself for not trying it sooner.

I would not chance not lining, i use some flexible plastic and still had a hard time getting soap out. Good luck, no one bought my round soaps, so i went back to log mold.

freezer paper
quilters mylar (very thin plastic sheets) work great too.

Tried every of the above mentioned methods - all successfully :D
The temporary endcaps are a "must" IMHO

We don't have freezer paper, but baking paper, which is thinner. I found that this seems to absorb moist and the outside of the log gets a "pattern" so usually don't line anymore.

I have used the mylar flexible chopping mats you can get from Coles, Woolies or most $2 shops. Just roll up to a smaller diameter than your pipe, insert and allow to unroll. You need to have one that is longer than your soap to grip and pull out when ready to unmould. The one time I didn't line it I ended up freezing overnight then plunging a 1 litre bottle full of oil in the pipe which eventually worked......after I pulled a shoulder muscle! :shock: It was a soft recipe though which didn't help :wink:

Tanya :)

I spray the inside with PAM, pour, next day pop in the freezer and let sit for a few hours. When I take it out, I let it sit for half hour, or so...and it slides right out without problem.

I have been using the chopping mats. They work great. I didn't go to the trouble of making them fit exactly. The overlap is fine by me.

Latest posts

Back