pretty peaks please?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It just takes some practice and knowing when the soap has reached the right thickness. I bring mine to a pretty thick trace and then use a wooden skewer to manipulate the tops into peaks. Some people use spatulas or whisks, but I find I get better control with a skewer or even a small plastic spoon. Pretty much you just have to practice. Good luck!

my2scents said:
I've treid & tried any body have any tips on how to achieve these kind if peaks??
http://www.etsy.com/listing/56280344/ch ... dmade-cold
http://www.etsy.com/listing/55591119/ma ... ocess-soap
ideas? special tools?
helpful hints & handy tips?
I may just have to e mail this soap maker & beg for some advice

ooh, gorgeous swirled tops! i wish she listed her ingredients though :(

here's another interesting, easy way to texture tops: http://www.thatsoapsite.com/Tutorials/T ... pings.html

Those certainly are beautiful! Thick trace is key!

Experiment and taking a step back from your own work helps. Look at your work and just because it didn't come out how you wanted it to - see what you can do to make it work for you.

I stress that next to being a 'chemist & chef' comes the artistry. Sometimes we see something and want to imitate it we loose somehing all our own that may have been quite lovely - leaving the NEXT person wondering 'WOW! How'd she do that?'

I too use skewers, the frosting spatulas, whisks and manipulate manipulate manipulate! Recipe and other ingredients also have much bearing on our result. Here are a few photos of how different my tops are from each other excluding my flat tops...:

Enjoy the journey!

Thanks! Yes like fresh sliced orange. Save on Scents Sweet orange EO and a hint of TKB color (can't remember which one off the top of my head)

Oh Hazel! LOL you are too funny! Thanks - that soap is a PRIME example - that batch was SO THICK I had to GLOP it in the mold!! And glopped blobs of pink on top and worked it with the spatula girl! Hehehee - That's exactly what I mean about take a step back ...

I really appreciate it! Thank you - that WAS a disaster of a soap :) And finally after months I am starting to like it now :)

can pretty peaks be achieved with HP? anyone have pics to share?

gigishiree said:

I've never been able to do it. Can't say that someone else hasn't, but my guess is it would be pretty tricky. HP sets up too fast to get fancy with the tops.

Anna, gorgeous soaps! That Baby Powder one is TDF!

O.K. ya'll made a sandle wood batch this am, used a mini wisk worked & worked on the top did CPOP, not exactly what I was hoping for but pretty goo & the best i've ever done as far as peaks go.
will post pics tomorrow after unmolding.
you guys give me the inspiration to go on soaping!

loveit_latherit said:
Oh Hazel! LOL you are too funny! Thanks - that soap is a PRIME example - that batch was SO THICK I had to GLOP it in the mold!! And glopped blobs of pink on top and worked it with the spatula girl! Hehehee - That's exactly what I mean about take a step back ...

I really appreciate it! Thank you - that WAS a disaster of a soap :) And finally after months I am starting to like it now :)

You may think it's a disaster but no one else is going to know. My stepfather says the difference between an amateur and a professional is the professional doesn't point out mistakes. :lol:

Don't point out the mistakes and pretend you intended the batch to turn out exactly the way it did. Then the rest of us can "ooh" and "aah" and say "Gosh! What a professional... someday I hope to be this good". :wink:

Anna, how beautiful! Love them all, especially your salt soap and the orange one. I'm going to try swirls in my next batch. I've watched a bunch of tutorials on youtube so I'll give it a try! Do you like the quality from Save on Scents? I haven't ordered from them.

NancyRogers said:
gigishiree said:

I've never been able to do it. Can't say that someone else hasn't, but my guess is it would be pretty tricky. HP sets up too fast to get fancy with the tops.

Thats what i thought -i havent had much luck with it either.....i think im going to make a double my next batch and CP half just for peaks

wow, I am in awe at all of these soaps! it really is an art form. I am so inspired right now. oh gosh, I hope this isn't going to be another addictive hobby ROFL!!!

shee said:
wow, I am in awe at all of these soaps! it really is an art form. I am so inspired right now. oh gosh, I hope this isn't going to be another addictive hobby ROFL!!!
I'm sorry to say it really is an addiction, Let me introduce my self
" my name is Renee.......& I'm a soaping addict"
I've only been soaping for 3 months & I have about 30 batches curing right now.
What the heck am I going to do with all this soap?
I know Xmas is coming thankfully!
I'm not at all a crafty person but I LOVE MAKING SOAP!!!! go figure
Soaping also comes with an addtional addiction called
" I can't stop buying soaping stuff online" to save my life
They may just find me dead under piles of soap & supplies! :)

I'm sorry to say it really is an addiction, Let me introduce my self
" my name is Renee.......& I'm a soaping addict"
I've only been soaping for 3 months & I have about 30 batches curing right now.
What the heck am I going to do with all this soap?
I know Xmas is coming thankfully!
I'm not at all a crafty person but I LOVE MAKING SOAP!!!! go figure
Soaping also comes with an addtional addiction called
" I can't stop buying soaping stuff online" to save my life
They may just find me dead under piles of soap & supplies! :)[/quote]

LOL...same here...I can't stop buyng stuff. I am trying to make other stuff now - like lip balms and creams - because I have too much soap as well. It IS addicting. I am trying to find an excuse to make more soap...lol Tomorrow I will make my first bear soap using guinness. I hope it will work out.

I'm doomed. LOL!

although, I'm quite broke, so perhaps that will save me HAHAHA

I can't stop any of it either. I've got enough FOs to bury me, but it will probably take me 3 lifetimes to test them all, yet I keep buying more :lol: And I'm well on my way to being buried by soap too and I don't even think I can find enough people to give it too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back