Premade lotion base for lotion bars?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're flailing around trying to create a complicated product from vague memories. And you're clearly not getting the results you want. So maybe it's time to stop trying to remember those fancy dance steps and go back to basics.

First thing is set the clay aside for now -- you can always add that in later -- but focus on getting a salve that's the right consistency.

Zing's basic recipe is about 1/3 beeswax, 1/3 solid fat, and 1/3 liquid fat. Try this and see how that works. Then tweak from there to get the consistency just right.
thank you for the advice. I needed that! I will make a small batch- just an ounce. if it turns out to what i am looking for how do I ramp up the recipe to be 453.59 grams?

You're flailing around trying to create a complicated product from vague memories. And you're clearly not getting the results you want. So maybe it's time to stop trying to remember those fancy dance steps and go back to basics.

First thing is set the clay aside for now -- you can always add that in later -- but focus on getting a salve that's the right consistency.

Zing's basic recipe is about 1/3 beeswax, 1/3 solid fat, and 1/3 liquid fat. Try this and see how that works. Then tweak from there to get the consistency just right.

I work in percentages for just about everything. It's easy to scale that way.

Ex
1oz batch
33%/.33oz beeswax
33%/.33oz mango butter/cocoa butter
33%/.33oz hemp oil or other liquid oil or combo
1%/.01oz vit e

Then when you want to scale up times the amount you want to make (453) by the percentages and you get your ingredient amounts.

Edited for clarification

Last edited:
I work in percentages for just about everything. It's easy to scale that way.

Ex
1oz batch
33%/.33oz beeswax
33%/.33oz mango butter/cocoa butter
33%/.33oz hemp oil or other liquid oil or combo
1%/.01oz vit e

Then when you want to scale up times 453 by the percentages and you get your amounts.
ok so cocoa butter and mango butter would be .33 each or half of .33 for each? and 453 times 16 oz?

ok so cocoa butter and mango butter would be .33 each or half of .33 for each?
I'd start with one so .33 of CB or MB later you can experiment with combining them.

You said you wanted to scale up to 453g so it would look like below.

453 batch
33%/149g beeswax
33%/149g MB or CB
33%/149g hemp oil or other liquid oil
1%/5g vit e

Basically you take how much you want to make (453) and multiply it by the percentage (.33 or 33%).

100g batch
33%/33g beeswax
33%/33g MB or CB
33%/33g hemp oil or other liquid oil
1%/1g vit e

Last edited:
I'd start with one so .33 of CB or MB later you can experiment with combining them.

453 batch
33%/149g beeswax
33%/149g MB or CB
1%/5g vit e

Basically you take how much you want to make (453) and multiply it be the percentage (.33 or 33%).

100g batch
33%/33g beeswax
33%/33g MB or CB
1%/1g vit e

453 batch
33%/149g beeswax
33%/149g MB or CB
1%/5g vit e

Basically you take how much you want to make (453) and multiply it be the percentage (.33 or 33%).

100g batch
33%/33g beeswax
33%/33g MB or CB
1%/1g vit e
got it! thanks so much! I'm lousy at math, I've got alot of Mango butter to use up so Ill need to incorporate that into the recipe at some poi Because its a butter?, I would imagine I would have to lower the hemp oil to adjust for firmness. Not sure. if I used Almond oil and hemp oil for the liquid oils, would I just cut the amount in half ie: 74.5 g each of almond and 74.5 g Hemp. Is that right? I don't want to mess with the CB because I want a nice firm bar

Because its a butter?, I would imagine I would have to lower the hemp oil to adjust for firmness. Not sure. if I used Almond oil and hemp oil for the liquid oils, would I just cut the amount in half ie: 74.5 g each of almond and 74.5 g Hemp. Is that right? I don't want to mess with the CB because I want a nice firm bar
The beeswax and butter should provide plenty of firmness so you wouldn't need to adjust. This is what I would do.

Make a 1 oz batch
33%/.33oz beeswax
33%/.33oz mango butter
33%/.33oz hemp oil or almond oil (just do 1 oil on your trial batch)
1%/.01oz vit e
Then see how you like it. Save the bigger batch until you have a recipe you like.

I normally just pour everything into a double boiler and melt it all down. Once all liquid and combined pour into molds and let cool at room temp. Then when the bars are opaque pop them in the fridge for about 10 min to finish firming up. Then pop out of mold. Wait about 5-10 min then test.

Cold bars/sticks do not glide smoothly.

got it! thanks so much! I'm lousy at math, I've got alot of Mango butter to use up so Ill need to incorporate that into the recipe at some poi Because its a butter?, I would imagine I would have to lower the hemp oil to adjust for firmness. Not sure. if I used Almond oil and hemp oil for the liquid oils, would I just cut the amount in half ie: 74.5 g each of almond and 74.5 g Hemp. Is that right? I don't want to mess with the CB because I want a nice firm bar

The beeswax and butter should provide plenty of firmness so you wouldn't need to adjust. This is what I would do.

Make a 1 oz batch
33%/.33oz beeswax
33%/.33oz mango butter
33%/.33oz hemp oil or almond oil (just do 1 oil on your trial batch)
1%/.01oz vit e
Then see how you like it. Save the bigger batch until you have a recipe you like.

I normally just pour everything into a double boiler and melt it all down. Once all liquid and combined pour into molds and let cool at room temp. Then when the bars are opaque pop them in the fridge for about 10 min to finish firming up. Then pop out of mold. Wait about 5-10 min then test.

Cold bars/sticks do not glide smoothly.
ok Ill try the test batch now and ill get back to you with the results

Latest posts

Back