Other uses for M&P?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pru

Reaction score
Hi Soaper's!

I have some triple butter (mango, shea, cocoa) melt & pour that I am not in love with. It melts nice and sets up nice, but its a little greasy feeling when you use it. Ive tried using it without adding anything to it (no essential oils or other additives) I am wondering if there is anything else I can do with it? Are there other recipe's for sugar scrubs or anything else where I could use the M&P are part of a recipe?

Alternatively, is there an additive I could add to make it less greasy?

@Pru, have you tried adding an exfolliant to the base? Like expresso grinds, ground oatmeal or poppy seeds? Maybe the scrubbiness might detract from the oily feeling you get right now?

Let us know if anything works out- If you try making liquid soap like in the video @AliOop suggested, I'd be curious to know what you think.
I have an absolute TON of M&P base - about 20 lbs of goatmilk base, 20 lbs of clear, 5 lbs of triple butter, 5 lbs of charcoal base, and 5 lbs of coconut base) that I got before I started making CP. It's hard to imagine I can use it all befor it gets rancid. I bought SLSA but haven't bought a preservative (her video doesn't say what preservative.) So, I'd love to know if you were able to make liquid base!

@akseattle FWIW, I have some M&P base that is probably 5+ years old. It's definitely not rancid, and it still makes great soap when my grandsons want to do that with me. I also do plan to make some of that LS recipe I posted above, and will be sure to post results when I do. :)
@AliOop , that would be awesome and greatly appreciated if you could post your results!!
Since I haven't really figured out the "preservative" thing, please be sure to let us know what "preservative" you used! I can't wait!!

BTW, that's some long lasting M&P base, is that normal? I only started making M&P in like February or March of 2023, so, I don't have a good idea of how long it lasts- it seemed like it always says "use within a year". I ordered a bunch in November and December of 2023. But, started making CP this year so haven't made much M&P. Then I got some NO SWEAT a couple months ago- accidently ordered 20 lbs, not 10 lbs... oh well... ) It would be great if I had more time than less to use this up!!!

@Pru, have you tried adding an exfolliant to the base? Like expresso grinds, ground oatmeal or poppy seeds? Maybe the scrubbiness might detract from the oily feeling you get right now?

Let us know if anything works out- If you try making liquid soap like in the video @AliOop suggested, I'd be curious to know what you think.
I have an absolute TON of M&P base - about 20 lbs of goatmilk base, 20 lbs of clear, 5 lbs of triple butter, 5 lbs of charcoal base, and 5 lbs of coconut base) that I got before I started making CP. It's hard to imagine I can use it all befor it gets rancid. I bought SLSA but haven't bought a preservative (her video doesn't say what preservative.) So, I'd love to know if you were able to make liquid base!
I have not added an exfoliant, that's a great idea. I also wonder if adding some arrowroot powder might help? I actually did do a really fun (and awesome) thing with about half of what I had. I made a foaming sugar scrub with it! I'll post the youtube link below. I made mine a really light scent (Strawberry Lemon and Lavender Dragons Blood.) I was surprised at how nice this came out. It has a nice feel on dry skin and silky when you add the water.

@AliOop , that would be awesome and greatly appreciated if you could post your results!!
Since I haven't really figured out the "preservative" thing, please be sure to let us know what "preservative" you used! I can't wait!!

BTW, that's some long lasting M&P base, is that normal? I only started making M&P in like February or March of 2023, so, I don't have a good idea of how long it lasts- it seemed like it always says "use within a year". I ordered a bunch in November and December of 2023. But, started making CP this year so haven't made much M&P. Then I got some NO SWEAT a couple months ago- accidently ordered 20 lbs, not 10 lbs... oh well... ) It would be great if I had more time than less to use this up!!!
“Use by” dates are not really expiration dates. If it doesn’t smell bad or look bad, or perform badly in tests, I’m going to use it. I don’t sell, so there is no concern there.

@Pru we go through our LS pretty quickly around here, so I don’t use a preservative. Haven’t had any of it go bad on me yet, but if I were selling, I’d definitely research and find one appropriate for the specific product. Other than Suttocide (sp?), which works for higher pH products, I seem to recall that some folks use Liquid Germall Plus, or maybe the non-plus version? Definitely do some research on that - we do have prior threads here on that topic.

I started with M&P before getting into CP. Some of my bases are also 5+ years old and still make good soap. I doubt the base would ever go rancid as long as it is kept in its original state. Should one melt M&P and add extra oils, which some people do, then one would need to be concerned with rancidity. It does seem to me that the older it is that it is a little less fluid when melted, but that may be my imagination.
I am slowly using up my excess. I have some really cute molds where I layer the colors, that lend themselves best to M&P - animals, vehicles, trains. So when I get the urge or think my market would favor these, out comes the M&P. I do like using the NO SWEAT for embeds on top of and in CP soap.

I have some really cute molds where I layer the colors, that lend themselves best to M&P - animals, vehicles, trains.
@Nona'sFarm , M&P is definitely a whole different scene than CP. I also have a ton of super cute embed molds and single cavity molds. I love the detail that can be achieved with M&P - probably why I went overboard with the M&P bases... I'm glad I might have more time to use up my bases!

I use M&P bases to make roses and other small molds to put on top of my CP soap.

Attachments

• 20240712_120003.jpg
    20240712_120003.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
I made a plain white cp soap in 10" mold. As it got firm I stuck several fat boba type straws into it and let it finish setting up. Removed the straws the next day (pushing them through often worked better than pulling them up). Put the loaf back into the mold. Melt clear M&P and color small amounts different colors and then fill the holes with the M&P soap. Let that set.
Cut loaf into fourths. Cut bars horizontally and the clear soap shows through!

Attachments

• IMG_1257.JPG
    IMG_1257.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0
I use M&P bases to make roses and other small molds to put on top of my CP soap.
I've had a problem with M&P sweating pretty badly in our humid weather. But, I recently got some Clear No Sweat base. So, I'm looking forward to experimenting a little more with M&P embeds in CP soap.

I made a plain white cp soap in 10" mold. As it got firm I stuck several fat boba type straws into it and let it finish setting up. Removed the straws the next day (pushing them through often worked better than pulling them up). Put the loaf back into the mold. Melt clear M&P and color small amounts different colors and then fill the holes with the M&P soap. Let that set.
Cut loaf into fourths. Cut bars horizontally and the clear soap shows through!
@jeanemarie Great idea!! I'm definitely going to try that!!

Latest posts

Back