Ok here is my idea!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cherbearthere

Reaction score
I am making a soap to support the Andean bear.
I know I want to make a coconut Milk soap this time. I figure I will make Coconut oil/olive oil/ almond Oil recipie and add some coconut Milk and cream.....
Not I had thought of also adding some pineapple juice during trace, mabe add some Lime and lemon, and orange rinds to to mix just before pouring in the mold.
I had hoped that I could get a tropical flare to it.

Here are my limitations... My customers have high ecological standards and would never except me using Fragrance oild in my soap.
Now I would also be adding oragnge essential oil... Lemon Oil and Tangerine essential oil. I worry that my pineapple scent would disappear in all the other smells and would I lose the essential coconut smell in the making of the soap with coconut milk?
Anyway just wondering and asking if you all have any ideas.

Are you doing CP or HP? Citrus essential oils don't hold up well in CP. Have you considered using cocoa powder as a colorant and doing dark brown and cream swirls? I'm still thinking about other ideas.

BTW, here's a link to the Soap Dish's formulary and you'll see info about making masks with powdered fruit. I think you'll find it interesting.

http://www.the-soap-dish.com/formulary.htm

How nice that you want to help bears! Welcome to the forum.

Regarding your soap plan, neither coconut milk nor pineapple juice will survive the lye reaction if you are making CP soap. The pineapple juice also has a good chance of turning brown.

I wonder if you might consider an alternate scent choice for this soap. While a citrus blend is always a popular choice, when I think of the Andes, I don't think of the tropics, I think high altitude mountains, forest, and grasslands. I wonder if there are some plants from the bear's preferred habitat that might also yield essential oils? Just thinking out loud here, it might be an interesting idea or it might not be practical.

I associate chocolate and coffee with the Andes and South America. What essential oils do you have? We might be able to help you create a blend.

eta: You had mentioned earlier about having orchid EO. I didn't know there was an orchid EO although I do know vanilla is a member of the orchid family. If you do have an orchid EO which is stable in CP, you could use rose hip powder or pink clay for a colorant.

Another idea is to make a cream and honey soap and use turmeric or paprika for colors in it.

Hazel said:
I associate chocolate and coffee with the Andes and South America. What essential oils do you have? We might be able to help you create a blend.

Ooh, or just make a chocolate & coffee soap.

Ok Here was my idea after looking at all this
I bought some celesitial seasoning tea.
Raspberry Zinger- hibiscus,rosehips,roasted chickory,orange peel,blackberry leaves,raspberryleaves
Country peah Passion- orange peel, rosehips,hawthrone,chamomile,blackberryleaves,hibicus,peaches and paprika
Wild Berry Zinger- hibiscus, rosehips,roasted chickory,orange peel,blackberryleaves,red rasberry leaves,
True Blueberry-Hibiscus,Rosehips,Orangepeel,Blackberry leaves and Blueberryleaves
Black Cherry berry-Hibiscus,Rosehips,Roasted Chickory,Blackberryleaves,hawthorn,Chamomile, dried cherries

At the health food store I bought the following herbs that are found in the Andean Forests.
Yerbamate .01lbs
Cornsilk .03lbs
Lemon Verbanena leaf .0lbs
Cat's Claw .01 lbs
Passion Flower leaves .01 lbs
1 tamarind pod
Epazote .01 lbs
Now I have had a lot of luck with making a Tea soap by Coffee grinding this into a fine powder and adding then just before pour( as far as the soap retainging the smell faintly) if I add some essential oils it should boost the smell I think it will be fine.
This soap will be a almond/coconut milk soap of course
and i am super fatting it with almond oil

Ok what I was wondering though is: given what I have; can I dump out my essential oils to you guys and see if we can make ups a south American smells.
Tangerine 1 oz
Geranium 1 oz
Clovw Bud 1/3 oz
Lavendar 1 oz
Patchuli 1/4 ozpine needle 1 0z
Cinnamon Bark 1/4 oz
Rosemary 1/6 oz
cedarwood 1/3 oz
Tea Tree.25 oz
A Splash of Sweet Orange

So this is my current Essential oil stock
I checked on Orchid and the Cost was prohibitive for now at nearly $30.00 an oz
Currently , I am thinking Tangerine and geranium but want to add another scent which would you choose considering what else I am adding for texture and scent. Also, I was thinking color wise of add the Chocolate Swirl as Hazel suggested. So I was wondering about an orangeish- peach color for the other side.
Any suggestions on how to get it that color.

Anyway, sorry this post is so Long!
Thhanks everyone in advance and I promise to tell everyone that this forum helped me comeup with this one.

Personally, I'd go for something woodsy - so maybe a mix of your rosemary, pine and cedar with a touch of patchouli to anchor it. If you want to brighten up the blend a bit, add some citrus.

I really like judymoody's EO suggestions. I was also wondering how experienced you are with soapmaking. How sure are you of the recipe you'll be using? Have you made it before?

I was thinking of a yerba mate and honey batch sounded like it would work for a South American/Andean theme. Since I didn't know anything about yerba mate, I had to google and found it mentioned as being used as an exfoliant and as being good for eczema, psoriasis and dry itchy skin in CP. I don't know what color the leaves would produce in CP. However, I saw a youtube video where a woman was cutting yerba mate soap which she had made from the tea. The soap looked cream colored and had speckles since she added some of the leaves. It was very attractive, IMO. However, I saw a YM soap on a site which was dark brown but I couldn't tell anything since it didn't list ingredients. You'll probably have to test the tea.

My idea - simmer leaves in a portion of your water and make the tea strong, then dissolve some honey in it. Dissolve the lye in the rest of the water, add it to your oils and blend for a little bit and then add the tea and leaves. Split the batch at emulsification or light trace - a portion of the batch to be colored with cocoa powder, a portion colored with paprika*, and the bulk of the batch left uncolored. Stir the EOs into the uncolored portion, pour into mold and use the colored portions for swirling. I have better luck with ITP swirls but just do it however you prefer. Also, you could just use the tea and not add the leaves if you don't want speckled bits through it.

*I think paprika is what I used which turned a soft peachy orange color but it might have been ginger. If I'm wrong, I hope someone corrects me.

eta: I have used rosehip powder in CP and it becomes a soft brownish pink and is pretty. However, I'm think an peachy orange or orangey yellow color would work better to complement the honey.

I used a rosehip and hibiscus tea for liquid to dissolve lye and it turned a dark brown. The soap wasn't a dark brown but it was a dark tan. So I'm not sure you'd want to use the Celestial Teas but again this is something you should experiment with to see how the teas will turn out.

HTH

Hazel said:
I was thinking of a yerba mate and honey batch sounded like it would work for a South American/Andean theme. Since I didn't know anything about yerba mate, I had to google and found it mentioned as being used as an exfoliant and as being good for eczema, psoriasis and dry itchy skin in CP. I don't know what color the leaves would produce in CP. However, I saw a youtube video where a woman was cutting yerba mate soap which she had made from the tea. The soap looked cream colored and had speckles since she added some of the leaves. It was very attractive, IMO. However, I saw a YM soap on a site which was dark brown but I couldn't tell anything since it didn't list ingredients. You'll probably have to test the tea.

HTH

I like this idea, Hazel. Yerba mate makes a very dark reddish brown tea. I imagine that the cream-colored soap probably had ground tea added at trace and the dark brown one used steeped tea as liquid. The stuff has more caffeine than coffee - if you drink it, it'll knock your socks off.

judymoody said:
The stuff has more caffeine than coffee - if you drink it, it'll knock your socks off.

Maybe I should get some and start drinking it. It's getting harder and harder for coffee to start firing my synapses. :lol:

I think it sounds like an interesting experiment the more I think about it especially if it may help with skin problems. I'm going to put this on my "Want to try" list.

@Cherbearthere

I think you're going to have to experiment and see how this will turn out if you like the idea.

Thanks so much guys!
@Hazel
This is eactly what I intend to do today. It is rainy out and as Far as I am concerned an excelent time to expiriment.

@ everyoneI am gonna mix and mingle some of everyone's idea here

" Yerba mate makes a very dark reddish brown tea. I imagine that the cream-colored soap probably had ground tea added at trace and the dark brown one used steeped tea as liquid. The stuff has more caffeine than coffee - if you drink it, it'll knock your socks off."

@Judymoody- Thanks for the tip....I think for this experiment at least I will go with adding the Yeba mate at trace.

For my process I pretty much am gonna follow Hazel's process. But the celestial teas will be in place of the yerba mate- but I may only use 1 teabag of the wild beryy and the blueberry.

and for my EO I will use Judy's idea of a combination of rosemary,pine and cedar, with tangerine and gardina.

I have really been playing tangerine and gardina a bit; with this combination and mixed correctly I have found the wonderful citrusy fruit fragrance I was looking for.
Now to add the combination Judymoody mentioned.

Genny and Hazel both had a wonderful Point about chocolate and coffee being associated with South America..... so I think I will definately add the cocoa in half and the paprika in the other half of the swirling and do a ITP with them.

@Summitsoap
If this soap turns out nice i will make it my post a picture so everyone here can see it

So Ok here is what i am gonna call it. Paddington's choice- after the spectaled bear Paddinton Bear who was saved from the jungles of peru in children's Lore.

Also, Those who contributed to this recipie (should it be a sucess) please message me. I want to five you credit for helping me with this recipie. If not them I will just say the gals the soap making forum and that will not sound neearly as good as saying ___ and ___ from ____ helped me make this awesome recipie.

Also,check out my introduction I am just about to give everyone on the introduction thread for those who want to know more about me.

Sounds great! I can't wait to see how it turns out. I never realized Paddington Bear was a spectacled bear but it's been years since I've read any of the books. Also, I was usually reading automatically and thinking "will you just fall asleep already". :lol: I think Paddington's Choice is a cute name but you might want to check with Michael Bond or whoever handles his business about permission to use the name. It's certainly copyrighted.

I noticed this tutorial on agriffin's blog and thought you might be interested in looking at it. I've never done a cocoa line but it's something you might want to consider. I was wondering if you could make a cocoa line which could be formed to look like peaks to represent the Andes.

http://www.lovinsoap.com/2011/07/color- ... nd-swirls/

Also, sorry to change this on you but I also realized paprika is associated with Hungary. Cayenne or chile powder might be better as a colorant since they are connected with South America.

http://blog.thesage.com/2010/09/10/caye ... cess-soap/
http://blog.thesage.com/2010/08/30/red- ... cess-soap/

Oh Hazel Thank You for the chili powder idea idea..... That is great espcially since Chile is also in the andes and this would definately represent the chilean population.

And thanks so much for the head's up on contacting Micheal bond or whoever is in charge of the Paddington Bear copyright. I figured that it was so long ago the copyright had expired i will do some research on it....
the links are oh so helpful thanks!

Cherbearthere said:
And thanks so much for the head's up on contacting Micheal bond or whoever is in charge of the Paddington Bear copyright. I figured that it was so long ago the copyright had expired i will do some research on it....!

I seriously doubt any copyrights he has would have expired but it looks like someone else holds the licensing.

There have been several discussions about copyrights and it was stated titles cannot be copyrighted. However, it's obvious Paddington's Choice is derived from the books so it's better to be safe and courteous and contact the author if you can. I don't know how hard it would be to contact him since I read he still lives in the UK.

Good luck!

British copyright law protects intellectual property for the lifetime of the author plus 70 years after the author's death. Michael Bond is still alive (b. 1926) so anybody wanting to use Paddington Bear for marketing purposes would need permission from him or his agent.

Probably not worth the trouble and expense.

judymoody said:
Probably not worth the trouble and expense.

I think you're right but Cherbearthere can try to contact him or his agent. The worst that will happen is she will be told no. On the other hand, it would be a lot easier to come up with another name. I think calling it "Spectacled Bear" would work - short and to the point.

I actually have contacted them and I am waiting for a reply!
I gope he will say yes as I love the name... I did some research he was very much into animal conservation and considered himself a naturalist... He is to crossing my fingers and hoping he is willing to allow me permission to use the name.

Latest posts

Back