Oil color comparison in CP: pure olive, extra virgin olive, & sunflower-olive blend

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
[I hope this is an appropriate place for this post, but admins please let me know if not, or move as you see fit. I hope also that this is proper way to insert a photo. Thank you.]

In case anyone's interested in the color of that blend of HO sunflower & extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) at Sam's, here is the result of an experimental batch inspired by this Holly's Soapmaking YouTube video, where she makes a layered soap to compare pure olive oil and EVOO. Alas, my bar is not nearly so elegant and lovely as Holly's, but the difference in color is pretty clear. The color in bottle is a little different from the regular Sam's Pure Olive Oil, but not much. My soap formula contained 55% olive oil, with no fragrance or other colors. The EVOO I had wasn't fancy, just the standard stuff from Sam's that comes in a big jug. As you can see, the sunflower-olive layer is not bright white like I get with the pure olive but still considerably lighter than the EVOO. Perhaps making one's own blend with pure olive instead of EVOO would give a lighter result. The Sam's blend is considerably cheaper than olive oil right now, but I wonder how long they will have it in stock.

Oil color comparison copy.jpg

Those are beautiful! No one would ever guess that this soap was a science experiment. 😁

Thank you so much! It was actually an untried recipe as well, but I quite like it. I had just received the new soapmaking book by Simi Khabra of Muddy Mint and couldn't wait to try something from it. The photos and layout are so beautiful and inspiring!

Back