Odd separation happening

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michaelvsoaps

Reaction score
Hi, as you can see in the photo.

tempImageKYuQvU.jpg

the resulting soap (Not moulded, but cut out) went through a separation during cool down. I wonder why and what is the clear side and what is the darker side. Both sides are soap for sure, they both lather.

Here you can see my recipe:

IMG_2897.JPG

I used bidistilled water.

The process was:
making the soap at 90° - 110° C for an hour and a half to evaporate the water completely although I am not sure if I am allowing the hydrolysis to happen before all the water evaporates. I am yet to see the soap in the "vaseline" state but I don't think that matters as long as it has been saponified. I don't think the glycerin cares.

So next I poured 95% glycerin (475g) that was infused with turmeric powder (30g / 3% , and was NOT sieved out) for a couple of hours, ALONG WITH extra virgin coconut oil as the superfat (I do manage to emulsify everything and the final soap doesn't feel oily. I love the idea of controlling what the superfat is because it adds to the aroma, and you can say the same thing about the turmeric, the aroma of it was preserved somewhat)

Anyways, I poured that down, the turmeric went completely black. The whole thing was black, but the sides of the pot were tinted red wine as I was stirring (Beautiful colour, I love it). And whatever turmeric smells like, it was smelling that but rather bitter. Bare in mind before pouring the coloured glycerin, the soap was at 90° C more or less.

Then I kept stirring until the soap was 90% dissolved into the glycerin before stick blending. Until it looks like a pond with tiny bits of soap floating.

I turned off the heat.

Then I poured 30g of (orange peel essential oil/peach fragrance oil/coconut fragrance oil) and blended for 6 pulses of 30 seconds each. This is where the magic happens, the colour was all throughout red wine, perfect. Then I left it to cool down to room temperature and a separation occurs. This has happened before even without adding any colorant and or aroma chemicals.

Why does that happens? I am not even able to know what emulsifier should I use since I don't know what is separating away from what.

Latest posts

Back