Newbie worried about rancid soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justme&miller

Reaction score
Hi, I am very new to making soap. In fact I found this forum looking for things to make soap out of. Well to make a long story short I made up a recipe using the soap cal with things I had and info I found. I used lard, (I raise pigs) olive oil, coconut oil, castor oil, whey (I make cheese) and after I reached a light trace I added one egg yolk and some cream from milk. Also A bottle of rose EO. It turned out great (after reading more I know I was very very lucky). My question is I have read more and I am worried this soap will go rancid ( I can not stand that smell), I am worried about this because I ended up with a large batch of soap, not the small batch I thought I was getting. Long time from school chem class and ended up with a large shoe box and about 4 rubbermaid containers. Can anyone advise me on this. I feel alot of gifting coming up.

A bottle of Rose EO? How big a bottle, because that's some really pricey stuff, like $300 for 1/2 an oz.

I've never used whey in soap, so I'm no help there. But if the ingredients were fresh and you cure them in a cool dry area & remember to flip the bars, I don't see why they'd go rancid.

I purchased the EO at my local natural food store for something else, and it was 1oz and it cost $30.00. Thanks for you response.

You could end up having rancidity issues from that then, because if it's only $30, then it's most absolutely been cut with another ingredient to make it that cheap.

I add cream at thin trace. I have also added a whole egg to my soap. They never caused my soap to go rancid.

I'm not really any help on the rancidity issue, but I'm curious about the egg..what's the purpose?

The egg adds richness to the lather and smoothness to the soap. I use the whole egg and remove the chalaza (that stringy white part). I use a frother and beat the egg well, then add some of the soaping oils to the egg and blend again. I add the egg/oil mixture to oils and blend well, then add the lye solution. Warning, the soap may have a sulfur smell at first but this dissipates after a while. I use a citrus blend that covers this odor very well.

Last edited:
I am SO SO SO doing that. I have eggs coming out my eyeballs....I can't even fit them all in the fridge anymore! So there's no reason why I can't do this with any recipe? It's not subbing for anything...just add it? S W E E T!!!

You can use any recipe, but I got mine from the internet. I don't change anything else, just add the egg and the citrus blend. Try a small batch at first to see if you like it.

Oh that website had a recipe for a soap made with ginger juice... this sounds dangerous (as in something else for me to spend money on and make, lol)

I had some trouble when I first started soapmaking years ago. A veteran soapmaker helped me correct my problem which was a too high superfat %. If you keep it 4 to 6 percent you will probably be fine, I tend to keep all veggie soaps at 5 to 6% and tallow soaps at 4%.
Let us know how your soap turns out!

Judi from Texas

I never use soybean or canola oils and I only use high oleic sunflower oil. Canola, peanut, sunflower, corn, safflower, grapeseed, hemp, & soybean can cause DOS. They also have a short shelf-life. You can prolong the shelf-life of any oil you buy by adding Vit. E oil or rosemary oleoresin extract to your oils when you first get them. I regularly add a few drops of Vit. E to my soaping oils with each batch.

Thank you Isg for the info. Funny but I got the idea of an egg from this forum. When I was searching the internet for things to add when making soap this forum came up a lot and that is how I found this wonderful and dangerous site. Don't tell husband shhhhhhh! The soap is three weeks old and really nice. I'd take photo but that is way beyond my abilities and if I have a chose of learning cheese making soap making and photo and uploading....well you know that answer. Thanks again

I never use soybean or canola oils and I only use high oleic sunflower oil. Canola, peanut, sunflower, corn, safflower, grapeseed, hemp, & soybean can cause DOS. They also have a short shelf-life. You can prolong the shelf-life of any oil you buy by adding Vit. E oil or rosemary oleoresin extract to your oils when you first get them. I regularly add a few drops of Vit. E to my soaping oils with each batch.

Isg, I just noticed in your answer you answered that you only used high olecic sunflower oil, sunflower but than you say that sunflower causes DOS
Just for a newby does it cause DOS?

Last edited:
Back