Candle wax in soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lard seems like a good off the grid alternative but how do I determine how much lard would it take to make canola soap hard. Seems like it would have to be all lard to get as hard as lard soap?
If you are only using lard and canola oil, I would try:

70% lard
30% canola oil

2%SF
38-40% lye concentration

Also, consider dissolving 1-2% sugar (per weight of oils) in some of your batch water, before adding the NaOH. Although it won't change the numbers in the soap calculator, sugar is a solvent that will help the bars lather more easily. High-lard bars do take some time to cure and lather well; 8 weeks is usually a minimum for me. Even then, it takes a few uses before the lather really matures.

The other problem is that the only readily available lard is hydrogenated and I don't know if this affects the soap characteristics.

I don't mind rendering pork fat for pie crust but it's a bit over the hill for soap.
Not sure if you saw my post above about obtaining "free" lard by cooking large pork shoulder/butt roasts in your crockpot. Lots and lots of lard will render out during cooking. It is fairly easy to clean - no harder than cleaning the mutton fat that you saved from cooking lamb roasts. :)

You can actually save any cooking fat, whether it is from beef roasts, steaks, chicken, etc. Chicken fat tends to make a soft soap, so if your goal is hardening the soap, stick with the pork and beef fats. Save them all in a container in the freezer till you are ready to clean it all with a wet rendering process. You won't really be rendering, just cleaning. I used this fat combination for our home-use soaps and call it my "barnyard soap." EDIT: bacon fat and duck fat work, too, but they are far too tasty to waste on soap. I save them for cooking!

But if you want to use hydrogenated lard from the store, that will work, too. I personally haven't noticed any difference in the final soap when using that, vs. what I obtained from saving the rendered fat from my pork roasts.

Last edited:
Lard seems like a good off the grid alternative but how do I determine how much lard would it take to make canola soap hard. Seems like it would have to be all lard to get as hard as lard soap
Using a soap calculator will show the attributes the different % of oils will bring to soap. It will also tell you the amount of lye and distilled water to use for your desired lye concentration and oils. A 65% lard / 35% HO canola oil soap will be fairly hard. Or using a soap calculator, you can try different percentages and see what the results reflect.

Back