New lip balm tool!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So Bennys Balms on Etsy is where I buy my cardboard tubes. I was messaging with them about some of my lip balm making woes and they were very helpful! I should have waited to share until the beakers came, but I’m so excited! Magnetic stirring hot plate!!! Do you have tips, tools, or techniques for pouring into cardboard tubes?
I’m considering having a 3D printed pouring try, like for plastic tubes!! Or has anyone seen that somewhere?

Attachments

• IMG_6609.jpeg
    IMG_6609.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
So Bennys Balms on Etsy is where I buy my cardboard tubes. I was messaging with them about some of my lip balm making woes and they were very helpful! I should have waited to share until the beakers came, but I’m so excited! Magnetic stirring hot plate!!! Do you have tips, tools, or techniques for pouring into cardboard tubes?
I’m considering having a 3D printed pouring try, like for plastic tubes!! Or has anyone seen that somewhere?
You'll find it handy for other things, too. I have one; I don't really use it for lip balm (I use a water bath for those) but I do use it for making all sorts of other things.

I've never considered magnetic stirring for lip balms. Interesting idea. I'd really love something to make them easier to pour. I've been considering moving from the stick balms to the pots just because it would be easier. I so would love to use the carboard ones but the oils would soak right through with the intensity of the heat and humidity here.

I've never considered magnetic stirring for lip balms. Interesting idea. I'd really love something to make them easier to pour. I've been considering moving from the stick balms to the pots just because it would be easier. I so would love to use the carboard ones but the oils would soak right through with the intensity of the heat and humidity here.
I don't love making lip balms - they are so fussy and always require extra wiping of the tubes so the labels will stick, etc. But since they seem to be inescapable due to high demand, I bought some trays like the ones shown below. I love it because I can pour willy-nilly and then scrape the top to remove excess (which can be remelted and the poured more carefully into the last few tubes.
Screenshot 2024-09-19 at 11.19.48 AM.png

I don't love making lip balms - they are so fussy and always require extra wiping of the tubes so the labels will stick, etc. But since they seem to be inescapable due to high demand, I bought some trays like the ones shown below. I love it because I can pour willy-nilly and then scrape the top to remove excess (which can be remelted and the poured more carefully into the last few tubes.
View attachment 79016
Where do you get your lip balm tubes from?

I’ve never even heard of a hot plate magnetic stirrer, @TashaBird and @Misschief - I’m so curious. Tell me more! 😊

It's, literally, what it sounds like. In Tasha's picture, you can see the magnet on the plate. You drop it into your liquid and turn the stirrer on; the magnet begins to spin, stirring the liquid. It works well as long as you have the right size of magnet for the liquid you're stirring.

It's also a hotplate so you can use it as you would any hotplate.

I’ve had my cardboard tubes in crazy high heat for many years and no issues with the waxed cardboard tubes. It may depend on the balm mix.

It's, literally, what it sounds like. In Tasha's picture, you can see the magnet on the plate. You drop it into your liquid and turn the stirrer on; the magnet begins to spin, stirring the liquid. It works well as long as you have the right size of magnet for the liquid you're stirring.

It's also a hotplate so you can use it as you would any hotplate.
I’m so excited to try it! Feels very mad science-y!!! Didn’t realize it did not come with the beakers as shown. Ordered some and now realized they make some with handles! I won’t buy those until I test it first.
I’m very excited to be able to keep the balm fluid and at the right temp so I can pour in stages and hopefully avoid the tunnel.

I did find a 3D printed tray on Etsy that fits Bennys Balms 1/3 oz tubes that I use! I won’t use it quite the same as the one for plastic tubes, but thinking it’ll be worth the $20!

I’ve had my cardboard tubes in crazy high heat for many years and no issues with the waxed cardboard tubes. It may depend on the balm mix.
It's not just the heat though, it's the humidity. I live a half hour from New Orleans. I went outside two days ago and it was hard to breath. My husband likes to say you can swim to work on days like those. I canceled my market for Saturday because it's supposed to be 95 plus humidity and last weekend I got sick outside the door of my car at the end of the market.

Back