Need help finding a natural orange colorant

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used paprika infused olive as a percentage of my total olive oil and made shades of peach to orange depending on the concentration. The only problem is the orange fades out to white over time for me. Natural colorants do crazy things. Below are pictures of a soap I made when experimenting with natural colors. For this soap I used cocoa powder, turmeric in olive oil infusion, and sweet paprika in olive oil infusion.
First pic is the day of the cut, second pic is 3 days later, and third pic is 1 year later. They were kept in a shoe box in a cool dark cabinet from the time they cured. Unfortunately, out of sight, out of mind because I totally forgot they were under there for nearly a year.

Update: Oops! I just looked at my notes from when this was made and that wasn't cocoa powder, it was charcoal because I panicked when both the turmeric and paprika portions turned a blazing shade Halloween orange, so I split off a portion of both and added a bit of charcoal.... and that portion turned brown! Like I said before, natural colorants do crazy things.
All plant colorants will fade, they are like flowers in a vase in that respect. Its the compromise for knowing you are using natural colorants. I haven't had my paprika fade to completely white so that is interesting for me to see!

Yes both turmeric and paprika will go that fabulous description of yours "blazing shade Halloween Orange"! They do change over time to more yellow (turmeric) more orange (paprika).

beautiful colors you have in your soap.

Back