My first Goat Milk Soap has DOS???

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lazy Bone

Reaction score
Hi,
I am still considered a soap noob (only been researching and making soap for 2 years) and I made my first goatmilk soap using frozen goatsmilk. I added ground oats and honey... well when i first undmolded the soap it was beautiful! And I was so happy! Now, less than a week later, my soap is covered with those Dreaded Oranged Spots I've heard others mentioninng. I've never had this happen before. I used the same simple soap recipe I have used several times just swapped out the water for the goatmilk.

What could have caused the DOS?

How do I go about preventing it from happening again?

Am I safe in assuming the soap is totally unusable?

What temp did you soap at? Did you add the lye to the frozen milk or did you thaw the milk and add it at trace?

Where did you keep your soap after you cut it?

The only GM soaps I have that got the DOS were kept in the bathroom on a shelf - big mistake as it's too humid in there.

"less than a week later...."

't ain't DOS. most likely either honey that wasn't mixed in completely, or bits of scorched goats milk. i'm betting on the honey.

(DOS takes time to appear - usually at least 3 weeks, often months and months)

Oh, and even if it's DOS (it's not), you can still use it if you wish - I dig out the spots and use - but be aware that DOS spreads so don't store DOSsy soaps with others. And eventually they will smell bad.

In your case, absolutely use as long as it's not zappy.

i kept the temp under a 100 degrees for the lye. I used frozen milk and stired in little bits of lye at a time until it was all melted and milky. Then at trace I added the oats and honey. After pouring into the mold I put it into the fridge to prevent gel. I left it there for 2 days, then I upmolded and set them out to cure with my other soaps on an old bookself that i converted into my soap rack (who needs to read anyway right :wink: ) a few days later the beautiful smooth creamy looking soap became spotted with orange bits. I'll have to load a picture...

if its the honey... then does anyone have any advice about using honey in soap? i used 1 tablespoon of locally harvested honey.

thin out the honey with some hot water (subtract it from the amount you use to dilute the lye)

Did you check for zap yet? Since you didn't go through gel thou, I'd give it a good 6 weeks or more cure time. I suspect the honey too.

BTW, I'm in Chesapeake :D

honey spots are cosmetic
as long as there is no zap you can use it

looks yummy.

Strange, though...I pretty much made the same bar a while ago - I used crushed oatmeal as opposed to full-flakes - and added the same amount of honey at trace. The soap turned out awesome with no spots. I didn't put it in the fridge, though, I soap at very low temps, not room, but about 90* and after I pour into the mold I just leave it be.

My honey was just some generic honey from the store as opposed to locally made - I wonder if that makes a difference?

Pics look good still...is it seeping orange stuff or is it literally orange spots throughout the bar? Have you cut into the bar?

I have not cut into a bar yet and I haven't zap tested it yet... maybe my sister will lick it for me muhahahah :twisted:

I'll try it and i'm glad to know its just the honey and I can still used the soap. I will diffently try the suggestions about how to incorporate the honey next time.

Thanks everyone!

Back