DOS?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello again everyone! I just now thought of something. I used Aloe Vera juice in this recipe. I had not stored it in the refrigerator. It has been sitting on shelf with my other oils for a month or so. I realized that I should have been storing the aloe in the fridge instead! It does not smell or look bad at all. Do you think this could have contributed to something going wonky? And should I just toss this juice since it's been sitting unrefrigerated this long. Again, thanks so much!

Hello again everyone! I just now thought of something. I used Aloe Vera juice in this recipe. I had not stored it in the refrigerator. It has been sitting on shelf with my other oils for a month or so. I realized that I should have been storing the aloe in the fridge instead! It does not smell or look bad at all. Do you think this could have contributed to something going wonky? And should I just toss this juice since it's been sitting unrefrigerated this long. Again, thanks so much!
Was it open or sealed?

If there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it, I guess it should be fine.

I'm yet to try using AVJ is soap, so I can't talk from experience. I read it can change the color of the batter, especially if the sugars overheat and burn. But I think the change in color should be throughout the soap, instead of showing specks like that.

I may be wrong though, curious what the others have to say.

@Maia Although I can’t say if your AVJ is bad or not either way, I am also curious if it was opened or still sealed. The brand I buy comes at room temp, and I put it on the shelf until I’m close to needing it, then it goes into garage fridge so it’s always cold when I use it. It takes me a while to use a full jug, so it does seem to last a long time. If it’s the same one and it doesn’t look, smell, or seem funky, I’d probably refrigerate it and use it. 🌸

Was it open or sealed?

If there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it, I guess it should be fine.

I'm yet to try using AVJ is soap, so I can't talk from experience. I read it can change the color of the batter, especially if the sugars overheat and burn. But I think the change in color should be throughout the soap, instead of showing specks like that.

I may be wrong though, curious what the others have to say.
It was open already (from when I used in a previous batch). I hadn't noticed a color change since I had added clay....

It was open already (from when I used in a previous batch). I hadn't noticed a color change since I had added clay....
If it didn't show any signs of going bad, it should be fine. It probably won't taste the same if you try to drink it, but for soap - it should be okay. You will know soon enough by observing the bars, but I think you won't notice anything bad

I mean that I'm not sure if AVJ has something to do with the specks, but I think it doesn't. I prefer the previous theory - clay/additives as the culprit

Back