Mold volume without maths and resizing for the new mold

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've put this up to offer a quick and easy way to resize one of your recipes

(Originally posted in the sticky thread "How to figure how much oil for mold" http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=2909&page=22)

Using salt to get the volume of your mold (and avoid all volume maths!):

Pour salt into your desired mold, then pour the salt from the mold into a measuring jug. Read volume.

To resize your recipe to fit a new mold:

Pour salt into your existing mold, then measure the volume of the salt. Note the volume.
Pour salt into your new mold, then measure the volume of the salt from the new mold. Note the new mold volume.

Divide your new mold volume by your old mold volume. This is your Resizer Value.

Multiply your Resizer Value by the total oil weight of your original recipe.

The answer given is the total weight of oil you need for your new mold.

In one calculation this becomes New Volume / Old Volume * Original Weight = New Weight

1/ The Resizer Value will work just as well to calculate recipe weight (by multiplying the Resizer Value by your recipe weight, instead of oil weight)

2/ The Resizer Value will work using any weight measurement (eg. grams, kilos, pounds, ounces ...)

3/ You can substitute any pourable solid for the salt. So you can use salt, rice, split peas, sand ... whatever, so long as you can pour it.

Last edited:
I've put this up to offer a quick and easy way to resize one of your recipes

(Originally posted in the sticky thread "How to figure how much oil for mold" sticky thread: http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=2909&page=22)

Using salt to get the volume of your mold (and avoid all volume maths!):

Pour salt into your desired mold, then pour the salt from the mold into a measuring jug. Read volume.

To resize your recipe to fit a new mold:

Pour salt into your existing mold, then measure the volume of the salt. Note the volume.
Pour salt into your new mold, then measure the volume of the salt from the new mold. Note the new mold volume.

Divide your new mold volume by your old mold volume. This is your Resizer Value.

Multiply your Resizer Value by the total oil weight of your original recipe.

The answer given is the total weight of oil you need for your new mold.

In one calculation this becomes New Volume / Old Volume * Original Weight = New Weight

1/ The Resizer Value will work just as well to calculate recipe weight (by multiplying the Resizer Value by your recipe weight, instead of oil weight)

2/ The Resizer Value will work using any weight measurement (eg. grams, kilos, pounds, ounces ...)

3/ You can substitute any pourable solid for the salt. So you can use salt, rice, split peas, sand ... whatever, so long as you can pour it.
Hey, this looks suspiciously like maths ;)

Sorry artemis ... I did really try hard to make the title right.

It's meant to be in two bits ... the first bit is measuring your mold volume without maths.

And the second bit, I tried to make as straightforward as possible, so there's one calculation to do at the end, but I couldn't make the math go away entirely.

Update: I've added a calculator that will do the maths! (See next post)

Yes-- I saw "without maths" and happily strolled in only to have DIVISION jump right out at me!

Last edited:
I put the math part into a quick spreadsheet for you (link below).

You will need to enter the following measurements:
The volume of your original mold
The volume of your new mold
The original weight of your recipe (in either oil or total weight)

The answer will be the weight needed for your new mold (measured the same way as your original weight).

Mold resizer spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nAzNLCAPCMmBK1uGL8vGsgXdbXoiUAIJzdjQHO9VOLs/edit?usp=sharing

(This is my 1st Google Spreadsheet, so I hope this first attempt won't be too clunky)

Feedback and comments welcome :)

Last edited:
(This is my 1st Google Spreadsheet, so I hope this first attempt won't be too clunky)

Feedback and comments welcome :)

I used to use spreadsheets to do math for me. Once I had the math worked out in the spreadsheet and double or triple checked I would make the spreadsheet do it for me after that. I liked the old MS Works spreadsheet the best.

I've had some people ask me what the asterisk * meant when I first started to do mathy things here. :oops: I now try to remember to use an X instead of the * for multiplication.

I've had some people ask me what the asterisk * meant when I first started to do mathy things here. :oops: I now try to remember to use an X instead of the * for multiplication.

I would get the same question for the * and / when trying to show someone math problems or formulas in excel. Of course there is no division sign on keyboards anymore, so that one for them was easier to figure out.

Back