Materials & Inventory Tracking methods (Software)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Over on another thread I got sidetracked and started thinking about the problem of tracking materials inventory and stock for sales inventory. My ideal software would allow me to enter my materials stock as I purchase it and deplete it automagically as I make batches depending on the recipe/batch size I choose. It would then add the resulting stock (e.g. Soaps) to my inventory for sale. This in turn would be depleted as I recorded sales.

As far as I'm aware, there is nothing available that fits that description. Certainly not free of charge. I'd be delighted to be corrected on this though.

The best I have found is using POS software (Square in my case) to deplete the inventory as I make sales. I have to manually add the inventory once I have made a batch and it is ready for sale. I've yet to find a satisfactory method for tracking raw materials - but I haven't spent any time or effort in looking.

Does anyone know of software that fits all my criteria, free or commercial? Anything that comes close?

I have considered trying to add this to my current spreadsheet but it seems like a huge task.

What do others do?

Cheers, Grant

Soapmaker3 does that: materials intake & costing, batches & lots used, costing, stock levels. Probably more now, I haven't updated it as the version I run does everything I need. Updates are free.

Not sure if they have a free version though.

SM3 does it all, but is Windows only. Boo! I finally just rid myself of the last MS program that required me to install and use Parallels, and have no desire to go back to it.

@Grantxw8, you are a fellow MacHead, yes? I believe there is another program that does run on MacOS, but I can't remember what it is. 🤷‍♀️

PS - Soapmaking Friend is a web-based program does a lot of these things, but I haven't used the inventory or batch functions, so I can't say how well they work.

Last edited:
I use SM3 for material inventory, recipes, COG, etc.
For tracking my COGS and made product inventory, I found it [SM3] to be cumbersome. I use an Excel spreadsheet and reports run from my POS to track inventory and COGS. I've got the [excel] formulas pretty streamlined now so that as long as I have my batch list updated, my total bookkeeping time is about 20 minutes once a month. (My business is about $10k sales per year.)

Edited for a bit of clarity.

Back