Does anyone here use a hot plate in their business?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been debating buying one to use to heat things like oils, emulsifying wax, etc rather than using my stove and microwave. In order to use them for my business, they need constant cleaning when they are my personal ones. It's aggravating. It will be much easier to keep clean if I have something dedicated to my business. I already have pans and a double boiler I use.

What do you think? Do you have one you recommend?

I have been using a hot plate for probably since I started making soap. I make soap in my garage. I have a stainless steel 3 shelf cart and it sits on top with my scale. The one I currently use was purchased on Amazon and it does have a good control of heat, Not sure of the brand but I can check.
Thanks that would be appreciated. What was the cost?

I bought a double burner hot plate off the shelf at WalMart. I think it was $35. I use mine for MB my soap oils, so it was worth the cash to not have to haul 100lbs of oils, the multiple buckets, spatulas, spoons, scale, etc upstairs to my kitchen a couple times a year... and then have to worry about how much cat hair might or might not be getting in the oils. The hotplate is not plugged in and put away on a shelf when not in use.

I bought a double burner hot plate off the shelf at WalMart. I think it was $35. I use mine for MB my soap oils, so it was worth the cash to not have to haul 100lbs of oils, the multiple buckets, spatulas, spoons, scale, etc upstairs to my kitchen a couple times a year... and then have to worry about how much cat hair might or might not be getting in the oils. The hotplate is not plugged in and put away on a shelf when not in use.
Thanks muchly.

I bought this hot plate awhile back so I could melt things or keep them warm without going down the hall into the kitchen, or using the crockpot. I still mostly use my craft room microwave (a cheapo big one that I found on Craigslist), but it's nice to have the burner when I need it. It seems to work well, although I do have to be careful about not touching the edges. It's HOT.

I bought this hot plate awhile back so I could melt things or keep them warm without going down the hall into the kitchen, or using the crockpot. I still mostly use my craft room microwave (a cheapo big one that I found on Craigslist), but it's nice to have the burner when I need it. It seems to work well, although I do have to be careful about not touching the edges. It's HOT.
Thanks Ali.

Are your existing pans and double boiler induction-capable*? If so, you might want to look at a countertop induction burner, as they are so easy to use and clean, give you instant control over heat, and seem safer. While the surface can get warm or hot depending on how much and how long you cook something, it never gets fiery hot like a regular hot plate or stove burner. My father had one that was NuWave brand and my brother uses it now. I don't know if they all do, but on that one you can set a temperature and/or a power level, and safely melt chocolate without a double boiler. Unfortunately they may cost more than a regular hot plate. I think I saw one at WalMart for around 30 or 40 dollars (haven't looked lately!), but very fancy ones can cost hundreds. Just a thought, good luck with whatever you decide to get! 🍀

*If a magnet sticks to the bottom of the pan. Some stainless steel pans work and some don't.

Are your existing pans and double boiler induction-capable*? If so, you might want to look at a countertop induction burner, as they are so easy to use and clean, give you instant control over heat, and seem safer. While the surface can get warm or hot depending on how much and how long you cook something, it never gets fiery hot like a regular hot plate or stove burner. My father had one that was NuWave brand and my brother uses it now. I don't know if they all do, but on that one you can set a temperature and/or a power level, and safely melt chocolate without a double boiler. Unfortunately they may cost more than a regular hot plate. I think I saw one at WalMart for around 30 or 40 dollars (haven't looked lately!), but very fancy ones can cost hundreds. Just a thought, good luck with whatever you decide to get! 🍀

*If a magnet sticks to the bottom of the pan. Some stainless steel pans work and some don't.
Yes, I only use stainless steel. Apparently, that's one of those that can use it. I have seen the NuWave ones online and they are definitely not cheap. Like $80 not cheap. I'll have to try the magnet trick first.

Latest posts

Back