Making White Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomahtashi

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
So I'm interested in making white soap (cold process).
I've heard that Titanium Dioxide (TD) is typical to use to help get that desired look. However, I'm conscious on my environmental footprint when making soaps, and I've heard TD may have a negative effect on marine life.

TD is safe for human use in soap, but what about its effect on marine life?

You could also use whiter oils such as coconut oil in your recipe. I have no clue about TD in water ways.

I can't say about TD either, but I agree you can use the oils to your advantage if you want white soap.

100% coconut oil soap makes white bar, but if you don't like the idea, you have other options as well. You can use soy wax instead of palm oil and high oleic sunflower oil instead of olive oil* to get white. If you use cocoa butter, change it for shea. Pay attention to the color of the oils in raw state - it will give you a basic idea what to expect in soap, with a little variation of course.

*some types of olive oil color the soap more than others. See https://www.soapmakingforum.com/thr...ive-sunflower-olive-blend.93324/#post-1010019 for more info

I can't say about TD either, but I agree you can use the oils to your advantage if you want white soap.

100% coconut oil soap makes white bar, but if you don't like the idea, you have other options as well. You can use soy wax instead of palm oil and high oleic sunflower oil instead of olive oil* to get white. If you use cocoa butter, change it for shea. Pay attention to the color of the oils in raw state - it will give you a basic idea what to expect in soap, with a little variation of course.

*some types of olive oil color the soap more than others. See https://www.soapmakingforum.com/thr...ive-sunflower-olive-blend.93324/#post-1010019 for more info
Thank you! I'll see how white the soap comes out using those oils without the TD

As far as I know, the supposed harmful effect from Titanium dioxide is theoretical at the moment, the way that the "sunscreen use is harming corals" is. At least, I have yet to see any serious research confirming it.

I'd welcome links to studies on the subject.

Latest posts

Back