Made soap from used cooking oils....something went wrong :D

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kudos to everyone @Piero , @Ford , @ soapface, and @Lidiacgarcia who is repurposing!!! Our planet needs all the help it can get!!

Unless I get stuck somewhere with no soap and used oil available, I probably won't help the planet by making body soap with used oil.
But, I definitely am willing to try dish soap!!

@Lidiacgarcia , would you be comfortable giving your exact recipe for dish soap? Assume 500 grams of oil.
I would use citric acid because I happen to have it.
If it makes a difference, I have peanut oil and vegetable oil that my husband has used to fry fish.

That would also be possible. Most of the places here in Odense, Denmark, are using rapeseed for their frying and I have not seen or heard anyone using other oils for frying. I will keep on looking.
Not soap related. However I had the wonderful experience of visiting Odense in the late 90’s. Beautiful city. Especially enjoyed the Hans Christian Anderson house.

Not soap related. However I had the wonderful experience of visiting Odense in the late 90’s. Beautiful city. Especially enjoyed the Hans Christian Anderson house.

I have been told that the city changed drastically in the last 10 years. It was also in an article of a famous US newspaper as a very nice city to visit last year if I do not remember wrong.
The new museum is very interactive and super cool. (Closing the OT now :D :D )

sounds all rather complicated. I used up old cooking oil, added a block of lard and did 100% lye, no discount. Once partially hardened I grated it and added washing soda and borax (I wrote the ratios down somewhere) and use it for general washing and cleaning, ie cleaning cloths and old towels. It sits in a pot in the utility. It seems to work well.

Back