Lye 50/50 solution

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maia

Reaction score
Hi, this may not be the right forum to put this. I can move if needed. I ordered some lye solution (50/50) from Makesy as usual but this time, it came like this. Is this normal?? Does it change color once touching the plastic bags or something?? I’ve never seen it leak like that before but also never seen it look that color. Bummer, as I was just about to make soap…..

Attachments

• IMG_1423.jpeg
    IMG_1423.jpeg
    825.4 KB · Views: 0
So this is supposed to be MB lye/water 50/50 with nothing else added? Nope, it's definitely not supposed to be that color. And not supposed to leak either

The leaking means the bottle isn't fully sealed. Once the lye solution has been exposed to air, the NaOH begins to convert to sodium carbonate (soda ash). This means your solution is no longer at 50% strength.

I'd definitely ask for a refund.

Thanks! They are resending two bottles now. My husband and I gloved up, etc and opened bag. Looks like mail carrier dropped it which caused the leaking… and they put them in that bag. I had never seen Makesy send them like that, so it makes sense. We discarded them.

Back