Lotion bar best oils?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I've made some lotion bars and want some opinions of great oils to use. My recipe is

32.5% beeswax
32.5% mango butter
32.5% coconut oil
1% vitamin e
1.5% fragrance

Right now I feel the bar melts a little too easily and is a little greasy. I've read that the coconut oil could contribute to the greasiness and was considering decreasing or removing it. I'm worried that doing that will make it even softer.
Should I increase the beeswax or the mango butter to make it harder? If I replace the coconut oil (fully or partially) what's a good reasonably priced oil to replace it with?

All advice welcome! I plan to experiment soonish but thought I'd get some advice first.

Last edited:
I use Meadowfoam Seed Oil or Sweet Almond Oil where you listed Coconut. I tried adding a bit of Arrowroot powder for greasiness once but everyone that tested preferred without.
I’ll page the Lotion Bar Guru to the front desk and hope for a consultation…. Excuse me, Mr @Zing - thoughts? 😉

Thanks! I have on hand rice bran, apricot kernal, castor, avocado, coconut, and olive oil. I've picked up some sweet almond oil but my budget can't afford meadowfoam oil right now. It's already mad about me buying the SAO lol.

Last edited:
Oh, I agree - MFSO is pricey. I get mine from the Plant Guru on Etsy. If you put it in your cart, they will typically send you an offer, usually 5% off. Took me a long time to decide to buy it, but now I’m hooked.
I would try Avocado Oil, based on your list, and the SAO.
you might try the 2 experiments I did, and maybe you’ll like them or one of them. My notebook says Cornstarch or Arrowroot at 10-20% and up to 40% for a more silky, less greasy and more emollient LB.
Let us know what you try and what you think. 😊

Thanks! I have on hand rice bran, apricot kernal, castor, avocado, coconut, and olive oil. I've picked up some sweet almond oil but my budget can't afford meadowfoam oil right now. It's already mad about me buying the SAO lol.
I would definitely replace the coconut oil. Using mango butter was a gamechanger because it soaks in quickly and doesn't leave my hands feeling greasy. Rice bran oil is nice on the skin as would sweet almond oil and apricot kernel. Or experiment with all 3!

Your base recipe is what I use -- 1/3 each beeswax, butter, oil + 1% essential oil and 1% vitamin E. I only get positive feedback about my lotion bars so you are quite close to finalizing your recipe.

Meadowfoam seed oil is a splurge for me as is jojoba but they are heaven on the skin.

Keep us posted!

Thanks everyone! I actually found mango butter because my grandma is allergic to shea butter. Used it in a recipe for her and fell in love.

I decided to do 4 recipes at about 50g each

34% beeswax
32% AKO/RBO/SAO
33% Mango Butter
1% vitamin e
Last recipe was the SAO blend with 10% cornstarch.

Now I'm just waiting for them to cool.

Attachments

• 20240724_154704.jpg
    20240724_154704.jpg
    848.5 KB · Views: 0
My favorites are Meadowfoam, Kokum butter, Babassu and Avocado. I find Mango to astringent for my old dry skin.
I'll have to try that. Do you combo all 3 oils or have 3 separate bars? Mind sharing a recipe?
I got started doing this as a way to help my grandma since most moisturizers have Shea in them now. She likes to swim and is always looking for something to help her skin not be itchy/dry. I made her some soap with mango butter that she loves. Now I'm starting into my lotion/lip balm phase.

Last edited:
I’m so happy to see this thread! I made a lotion bar last year but wasn’t really thrilled with it. I’m happy to see the combined wisdom and suggestions from the lovely people here so I will proceed with some of your recommendations. Thank you!
(A question for @dmcgee5034 , @cmzaha, @Zing - I made a salve last week that included a tiny bit of cetyl alcohol in addition to beeswax. I LOVE the feel! Do you think the CA would be a good addition to lotion bars?)

I’m so happy to see this thread! I made a lotion bar last year but wasn’t really thrilled with it. I’m happy to see the combined wisdom and suggestions from the lovely people here so I will proceed with some of your recommendations. Thank you!
(A question for @dmcgee5034 , @cmzaha, @Zing - I made a salve last week that included a tiny bit of cetyl alcohol in addition to beeswax. I LOVE the feel! Do you think the CA would be a good addition to lotion bars?)
I wish I could help ya but I've never used cetyl alcohol. I'm so glad you made a batch you like. Unlike soap, lotion bars are easy to re-melt and adjust accordingly.

Hi everyone. I've made some lotion bars and want some opinions of great oils to use. My recipe is

32.5% beeswax
32.5% mango butter
32.5% coconut oil
1% vitamin e
1.5% fragrance

Right now I feel the bar melts a little too easily and is a little greasy. I've read that the coconut oil could contribute to the greasiness and was considering decreasing or removing it. I'm worried that doing that will make it even softer.
Should I increase the beeswax or the mango butter to make it harder? If I replace the coconut oil (fully or partially) what's a good reasonably priced oil to replace it with?

All advice welcome! I plan to experiment soonish but thought I'd get some advice first.
I make lotiobars for mature skin, so I'm sub coconut oil, which can be drying, to sweet almond oil.

I also haven’t tried that, but it sounds lovely! 1-4%, probably? Hopefully a nice silky slip feel. If you try it, do post your results and thoughts on the feel. 🌸

Hi Lou, I know coconut oil is drying when it combines with lye and makes soap, but it is moisturizing on its own, unless I am misunderstanding your comment.
For me, CO is drying even in its raw form. It doesn’t absorb into my skin, either, leaving me both greasy and peeling at the same time. I have no problem eating it, but my skin sure doesn’t like it. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Back