local sourcing lye

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olyvus

Reaction score
I'm brand new! I have done much research but not yet made my first batch.
I have gathered my oils and additives locally. I've read this suggestion multiple times for beginners.
Can I find lye in my area hardware store or is the internet the best way to purchase? Is the stuff the same?

You can use lye from the hardware store, just make sure its 100% sodium hydroxide.

I use the rooto brand

Attachments

• 15565468472164536752730600959394.jpg
    15565468472164536752730600959394.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 6
Yes, you can buy NaOH locally. Check Lowes, Menards, Home Depot, or your local hardware store. If it's not on the shelves -- usually in the plumbing department with other drain cleaners -- ask at the customer service desk.

Tip: It has to be NaOH (lye) and only NaOH. If the product has aluminum or colorant or little flecks of "stuff" in it, it's got other additives and you don't want that.

I'm brand new! I have done much research but not yet made my first batch.
I have gathered my oils and additives locally. I've read this suggestion multiple times for beginners.
Can I find lye in my area hardware store or is the internet the best way to purchase? Is the stuff the same?

Olyvus, I have bought lye at Tractor Supply Company many times. Some hardware stores sell it cheaper however. At TSC it tends to be about $14-$15 per 32 ounce container. Whereas some hardware stores sell it at about $4-$5 per 16 ounce container. Yes, I know those are difference size containers, but that is how I have found it sold in some small-town ACE hardware stores. When I find the 32 ounce size bottles of lye at the larger Hardware Stores, it tends to be more closely in line with the price at TSC. It has always been in the plumbing aisle when I've found it, but I am sure you already know that. It has always worked very well for making soap and I've never had any problem with soap I have made with lye that is sold as drain cleaner and labeled as 100% sodium hydroxide.

Because it can be used to make illegal drugs, they might ask for your ID and to sign a sheet of paper they keep behind the checkout counter, but that has only happened to my once in Princeton, IL. Usually, though, they never ask for my ID.

Latest posts

Back