lip balm- are "brittle oils" necessary?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You definitely CAN do that.

I've found that when I don't use a very hard oil, like cocoa butter, I have to up my wax and then it turns out .... waxy! But I'm sure with enough experimenting you could come up with something satisfactory. It really depends on what "feel" you are going for.

hmmm. but what brittle oils are nto going to end up grainy? well without butter ez or whatever that is. lOL!

not for me, but I don't use shea, which I've heard can get grainy. I like cocoa and mango butters mainly.

I make a lip balm with equal parts beeswax, coconut oil, and liquid oil (jojoba, almond, sesame, whatever you like). People adore this balm, it holds up beautifully in different weather conditions, and it doesn't go grainy. HTH!

that does help, thank you!!

I just made one and for some reason tis gritty!! GRRRR! IDK why. I used candillilia wax (how ever you spell that). maybe I should use bees wax instead! I'm going to try again in a little while, IF the kids cooperate! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have both beeswax and the other. maybe I'll try some with the beeswax and decide which I prefer.

tried it again and then that time it didn't seem grainy. who knows whats going on!

Candelilla Wax is mainly used to harden products, whether it's lip balm, lip stick, lotion bars etc.

well shoot, its too soft. I should do more wax. I think I may try the 1/3 thing like was mentioned above :)

Back