Lavender Question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BJBJ

Reaction score
Ok-so I have TONS of Lavender (it grows easily where I live.) I would like suggestions (preferably with a how to as well) on what I could do with it-other than using it dried. I prefer to not do that (I use the dried for other things).

I have seen reference to "lav infused water" and I know I could distill it....no idea how you infuse water.

Any other thoughts/suggestions?

I dunno about for soap, but I make kick-a$$ lavender syrup! Simple syrup with the lavender simmered in it for a while (start with a touch of extra water). It's amazing in iced tea, or YUM lemonade or drizzled over pound cake with fruit (I like blueberries & strawberries).

geez that does sound good. I am a tea-aholic ... I can see it being good in several different teas.

now on the hunt for lavender ...

If you make soap with Infusions and extracts it can still show up
in the soap itself but usually only in CPHP have i had success in this.

The infusions would get dried out or absorbed completely by CP or
regular CPOP methods and thusly kinda a waste.

Infusions work amazing in Balms, solid lotions, reg. lotions,
creams, scrubs etc. Think more of B&B to get the biggest bang
for your buck type thing.

you can steep the herb in oil (takes awhile like weeks or more usually)
or high proof vodka, or brew it like you would loose leaf tea
to make the water infused one.

Sometimes water based stuff needs preservatives cause noone
likes moldy gook.

Ooooohhhhh lavender vodka!!!! Hmmm....guess you meant for a cosmetic though.

Thanks for all the thoughts! If I ever venture past my simple soaps-maybe I'll try them. (Some sound really nice for lotions or lip balms.)

Lavender vodka - go light on the lavender or it tastes like a cleaning product. Unless you add a lot of sugar, that is. And try to limit it just the flowers and not the stem to keep the camphoraceous-ness down.

Back