Laundry Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By definition, Olefin 14-16 is a synthetic detergent, not a soap. This detergent foams quite a bit, so I would think it would not be ideal for use in a washing machine detergent unless used only in small amounts. IMO its strength is to add foam and mildness in products used for general bathing or for washing hair.

As far as combining it with actual lye-based soap for laundry use, I can't say I've heard of anyone on this forum that does that.

I know some people have experimented with a "combo bar" (soap-syndet blend) for bath soap, and Olefin 14-16 would certainly be useful for that. Some of us make shampoo that is 100% syndet based. I use Olefin 14-16 in my 100% syndet formulation for solid shampoo.

By definition, Olefin 14-16 is a synthetic detergent, not a soap. This detergent foams quite a bit, so I would think it would not be ideal for use in a washing machine detergent unless used only in small amounts. IMO its strength is to add foam and mildness in products used for general bathing or for washing hair.

As far as combining it with actual lye-based soap for laundry use, I can't say I've heard of anyone on this forum that does that.

I know some people have experimented with a "combo bar" (soap-syndet blend) for bath soap, and Olefin 14-16 would certainly be useful for that. Some of us make shampoo that is 100% syndet based. I use Olefin 14-16 in my 100% syndet formulation for solid shampoo.
Thank you so much for the info!
I have a lot of Olefin 14-16 left from making shampoo for hotels. I am looking at ways to use it up.
What do you think about Betaine in laundry soap? I have quite a lot of that left but not as much

Why aren't you looking at making syndet shampoo with these detergents? I don't see either of these syndets contributing a lot if used in laundry detergent.
I don’t have the hotel contract anymore.
I would like to use the 40k of Olefin and 10 of Betaine for my own use. That is too much shampoo!

I don’t have the hotel contract anymore.
I would like to use the 40k of Olefin and 10 of Betaine for my own use. That is too much shampoo!
As DeeAnna pointed out, you can make solid syndet shampoo bars. Lots of free recipes are available on Humblebee & Me. You could possibly sell them (or gift them to family and friends). These don't tend to get rancid like soap or liquid shampoo, so storing them in the meantime, even for long term, isn't as big of an issue.

As DeeAnna pointed out, you can make solid syndet shampoo bars. Lots of free recipes are available on Humblebee & Me. You could possibly sell them (or gift them to family and friends). These don't tend to get rancid like soap or liquid shampoo, so storing them in the meantime, even for long term, isn't as big of an issue.
Thank you.
I have plenty of shampoo and body wash.
I would like to find another product to use up the Olefin and Betaine
I would like

Back