Is it possible to use a Chelating agent in M&P soaps?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueRaven

Reaction score
I understand that a chelating agent gets to react with the lye solution in cold process soap making, but I was wondering if I can add any chelating agents to an M&P soap as well (the reason I'm looking to use a chelating agent is to prevent the oxidation of the Matcha green tea additive that I am including in my S&P soap base). I would greatly appreciate any advice

I don't think you need a chelator to prevent oxidation with MP, assuming the base isn't expired. If it's a good brand I would think that they used fresh oils and anti-oxidative processes (ie; no metal equipment) to make the base. I've never experienced DOS or any other symptoms of oxidation with the MP brand I use (SFIC), even after a year+ of storage. In soaping terms, oxidation usually refers to oils going rancid, I don't think chelation/the same preventive methods would apply to matcha powder.

ETA: are you in Cardiff, Wales or Cardiff, California?)

Last edited:
I don't think you need a chelator to prevent oxidation with MP, assuming the base isn't expired. If it's a good brand I would think that they used fresh oils and anti-oxidative processes (ie; no metal equipment) to make the base. I've never experienced DOS or any other symptoms of oxidation with the MP brand I use (SFIC), even after a year+ of storage. In soaping terms, oxidation usually refers to oils going rancid, I don't think chelation/the same preventive methods would apply to matcha powder.

ETA: are you in Cardiff, Wales or Cardiff, California?)
I'm using Stephenson soap base which should be okay. I add matcha powder to my soap and it turns out a beautiful green. Sadly, the colour gets darker over time which I think is the result of the matcha powder oxidizing. I haven't managed to find much information about how to prevent this, but I half thought that a chelating agent might be helpful. But what you said makes sense. I'll try to figure out some other solution. Thanks!

I'm from Cardiff, Wales :)

If you want to experiment with an additive that might keep matcha from oxidizing, you'll need to use an antioxidant.

The purpose of a chelant is to immobilize metal ions that can accelerate the process of oxidation. A chelant does not directly prevent oxidation because oxidation occurs for a variety of reasons, not just the presence of metal ions.

I don't think an antioxidant is going to solve your problem, however, because I suspect the color change is more due to the alkaline pH of soap. If the browning is caused purely by oxidation, then botanical colorants buried deep inside a bar of soap shouldn't fade or turn brown.

Yes, you can add chelating agents to Melt and Pour (M&P) soap. Chelating agents like EDTA (ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid) can help prevent oxidation and enhance the stability of additives such as Matcha green tea by binding to metal ions that may cause degradation.

When using a chelating agent in M&P soap, dissolve it in water first before adding it to your melted base to ensure even distribution. Generally, a concentration of about 0.1% to 0.5% of the total weight of your soap base should suffice.

It’s also beneficial to store your soap in a cool, dark place to further minimize oxidation. For more details on chelating agents in soap making, you can check out resources like Soap Queen or Lovin Soap Studio. ;)

Before I'd add a chelant to a melt and pour base, I'd do some research first -- read the ingredients list and verify the base doesn't already contain this type of additive. Commercial soap makers are very aware of the benefits of using antioxidants and chelators in soap, so I wouldn't be surprised if their bases already contain these ingredients.

Hm. I have a feeling....

1730125628829.png

Yeah.

Back