What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Repainted a dresser to use as a display in a Shop for soapsand such. My current display has worn out it's welcome
Repainted a dresser to use as a display in a Shop for soapsand such. My current display has worn out it's welcome lol
It turned out nice

Attachments

• 20241026_141928.jpg
    20241026_141928.jpg
    6.2 MB
I made a pair of tester shampoo bars. I scented them with Moroccan oil from Little Bee and wow that smells good!

General.cleanup and put away dishes, molds, etc. All the things no one likes to do. Stared at all my FO again wondering when I'm going to make storage space to fit them all. Dreamingof the day i actually finish my craft building.

I made two batches for Christmas gifts! First is BB “balsam cedar”. Absolutely spot-on fragrance. Second is combined BB “warm vanilla sugar” and Formulators Sample “tonka bean”. I used a color stabilizer because of all the vanilla, which made my blue turn green and my white went yellow. However! Overnight it is self-correcting to a lovely blue and white as desired! This was my first time using separators. I haven’t trimmed or cleaned up the bars yet.

Attachments

• IMG_0029.jpeg
    IMG_0029.jpeg
    3.1 MB
  • IMG_0031.jpeg
    IMG_0031.jpeg
    1.7 MB
  • IMG_0032.jpeg
    IMG_0032.jpeg
    2.1 MB
  • IMG_0033.jpeg
    IMG_0033.jpeg
    2.1 MB
Made soap yesterday, a long time coming to get it done. It's a seaside soap with 5 different greens, blues, turquoise and a little white,.ocean breeze scent that I can't get anymore :confused:. I might have to contact them and see if they can remake it. Will cut in a few days.

I mostly make 1# (450 gram) batches, as I am still pretty new to soapmaking and don't have time to make soap as regularly as I would like. Today I took a huge step and made a 5# (2,300 gram) loaf of wood grain soap. I was thrilled with how long my batter stayed fluid, but still had 4 cavity mold bars of leftover batter that got too thick to pour. The cavity bars are ugly, but they smell as amazing as the loaf. It should be ready to cut tomorrow evening. That's always a fun family event.😀

Made soap yesterday, a long time coming to get it done. It's a seaside soap with 5 different greens, blues, turquoise and a little white,.ocean breeze scent that I can't get anymore :confused:. I might have to contact them and see if they can remake it. Will cut in a few days.

I hope we get to see your soap. It sounds amazing!

Attachments

• 20241027_160846.jpg
    20241027_160846.jpg
    2.4 MB
  • 20241027_161027.jpg
    20241027_161027.jpg
    2 MB
I mostly make 1# (450 gram) batches, as I am still pretty new to soapmaking and don't have time to make soap as regularly as I would like. Today I took a huge step and made a 5# (2,300 gram) loaf of wood grain soap. I was thrilled with how long my batter stayed fluid, but still had 4 cavity mold bars of leftover batter that got too thick to pour. The cavity bars are ugly, but they smell as amazing as the loaf. It should be ready to cut tomorrow evening. That's always a fun family event.😀

I hope we get to see your soap. It sounds amazing!
Oooooo you took on wood grain soap as a newbie? Nice!!! Share when you cut please!

Oooooo you took on wood grain soap as a newbie? Nice!!! Share when you cut please!
I'm not super new, but new enough that I'm still surprised when a soap turns out like it's supposed to. 😀 I've made wood grain before, but only in small batches. It takes a lot longer to pour 80 oz than 30 oz!

I was pretty excited that I didn't overblend the batter and was able to separate for colors at emulsion. That gave me a good amount of time to pour. My daughter helped hold the mold at an angle for me. She'll be a soapmaker when she's big enough. 😊

Last edited:
I'm not super new, but new enough that I'm still surprised when a soap turns out like it's supposed to. 😀 I've made wood grain before, but only in small batches. It takes a lot longer to pour 80 oz than 30 oz!

I was pretty excited that I didn't overblend the batter and was able to separate for colors at emulsion. That gave me a good amount of time to pour. My daughter helped hold the mold at am angle for me. She'll be a soapmaker when she's big enough. 😊
Right?! Same! I get that! Love when daughters help too.

Made an Aleppo style soap today. Anyone ever make this? How long did you wait to test? (I know this has to cure for a year 😢)
Are your oils only olive and laurel berry?
IMO it depends oh much laurel berry oil you used. Only 10% and your soap will act just like 100% olive oil. But I made a batch with 30% and it was good enough forme after 4 months (which is still a lot of course, but way less than a 100% olive oil soap).
I've also done a batch with 20% laurel berry oil and started using it after 6 months. I like it better after 7/8 though.

Latest posts

Back