I'd like thick, cold-feeling, super silky body butter but not greasy. R these good?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marya

Reaction score
Hi there -

I used to dabble in body butter several years ago and made a couple of batches of very nice fluffy whipped butters (and used Dry Flo). However, what I was really going for was more of a Cetaphil feel, you know? Maybe that heavy body cream and a homemade body butter can and will never be in the same category though. But I love how Cetaphil feels cool to the touch and glides on really silkily (as do the body butters and a place like Bath and Bodyworks).

I was a little bothered by how my body butters felt more like a greasy frosting. Even if I whipped it to death and got it really fluffy and light, adding just a little Dry Flo to remove the greasy feel, there was a powdery feeling that was left, as opposed to that silky, glossy feeling. And I'd either whip it to fluff or else it would end up like that pressed-in cocoa butter feel you know?!

It may be that I'm looking for a lotion/skin cream quality that can't be gotten without a bunch of high-tech ingredients.

Are there particular butters and oils to avoid or seek out in particular? It's been years (I used to be more into candles and soap) but I did find old notes. I'd written a list of what I thought might be good body butter ingredient options. I probably asked on a forum at the time! Please correct me if I'm wrong:

Mango butter
Shae butter
olive butter?

(Are any of those heavy/greasy?)

And I remember hearing/reading that to avoid the heavy greasy feel, we should add light oils - and should avoid ones that are particularly fragile if possible. So I'd written down:

apricot kernel
grapeseed (then I wrote "fragile?" next to that)
sunflower
olive squalene (?)
hempseed oil (wrote "fragile" next to it)
shea oil (?)
meadowfoam seed oil
jajoba (?)
monoi
kukui
macadamia nut oil
almond (fragile?)
sesame (?)
hazelnut (?)
babassu (?)

Which of these or which combinations would be good to add to keep it from being too greasy feeling?

I also wrote down "IPM" but I don't know why. Do people still use Dry Flo or have they moved on to something even better these days? Are there any new preservatives on the market that are natural besides Vit.E? I know we're safe if we don't introduce water or germs but that's not easy when it's a cream you stick your hand into, you know?

Thanks so much!

Unless you're making a water/oil emulsion, I think that greasy feeling is inevitable. I use IPM at 1% and it helps a teeny bit but still, whipped butter/oil is basically like rubbing grease on your skin.

Vitamin E is not a preservative, by the way. There are some more natural/green options out there - try the Herbarie or Ingredients to Die For or Lotion Crafters. I stick with the tried and true Germall Plus for water/oil emulsions and for oil based stuff, liquipar optima.

Thank you so much - that is very helpful. I was just doing searches and read about both Vit. E not being a good enough sub for preservatives and also how Germall Plus is preferred by most, it would seem.

Yeah I don't think I'm ready to try a thick lotion...I should try a couple of more body butters before I leap into the more complicated stuff.

Do you have a preference between DryFlo and Natursorb, to help reduce some of the greasy feeling? I have a 9-year-old container of Dryflo and a 5 or 6 year-old bag of unopened Natursorb. Not sure if either are still usable.

Thanks again!

Unless you're making a water/oil emulsion, I think that greasy feeling is inevitable. I use IPM at 1% and it helps a teeny bit but still, whipped butter/oil is basically like rubbing grease on your skin.

Vitamin E is not a preservative, by the way. There are some more natural/green options out there - try the Herbarie or Ingredients to Die For or Lotion Crafters. I stick with the tried and true Germall Plus for water/oil emulsions and for oil based stuff, liquipar optima.

I haven't used either, so I can't say.

If you want to branch out into lotions, I can't recommend this site enough. It is a treasure trove of useful, reliable information.

swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com

^^^great site! I learned how to make so many things from her site and still go back occasionally to read up on stuff.

Thanks Judymoody and Kazmi! That site is fantastic! Hard to get off once you get on, huh?!!

Latest posts

Back