How to use this OO substitute in soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought this Iberia Sunflower/Olive Oil blend trying to cut back my olive oil costs, but now I'm nervous about using it. It's advertised as for "high heat frying" and only 14% saturated fat. It's 50% polyunsaturated but only 35.7% monounsaturated. Classic Bells says it takes 70% mono to be "high oleic."
What's the maximum percent of this oil that would be safe from rancidity issues? How do I enter this on Soapmaking Friend for my lye calculation? Or should I just put this in my kitchen for cooking? 🤣
(Total Fat: 14g Saturated: 2g Polyunsaturated: 7g Monounsaturated: 5g)

Thank you, @lsg Silly me -- I should have checked the SAP before asking. I'm glad to see the SAP for regular and HO sunflower is the same for both.
My big concern is about a higher risk of rancidity, but I won't know that for months at least.

DeeAnna also wrote a good article about reducing the potential for DOS, including by keeping an eye on the percentage of the poly-unsaturated fats in a recipe:

"Fats high in unsaturated fatty acids. Poly-unsaturated fats are more prone to oxidize than fats that are saturated or fats that are mono-unsaturated. To reduce the chance of rancidity, minimize the percentage of polyunsaturated fat in your recipes. A general rule of thumb is to keep the total amount of linoleic and linolenic acid at or below 15%. There is not a strong scientific basis for this rule of thumb, but it does seem to work. Another way people control this is to monitor the INS and iodine numbers for their recipes.:

UPDATE: Seconds after I posted this Iberia called me back. The 80% sunflower is not high-oleic. So glad to have my suspicions confirmed before I made a batch!

I have a call in to Iberia asking whether the sunflower portion of this oil blend is high oleic. I will update when I hear back from them.
I do always make sure my linoleic and linolenic acids are 14 or below. This number would be different depending on the answer I get from Iberia. Hopefully we'll learn more soon...

Back