First attempt with the Ciaglia Method

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I tried the Ciaglia Method for the first time a couple days ago... Fairly pleased with the results.
  • I used one white bar of soap as the donor bar, per every ten bars of colored soap (lard & lye only, no scent)
  • I peeled the lard bars with a potato peeler and then stick blended in the oil until they reached the desired speckle size
  • Cold processed, typical recipe, no surprises
  • Once you wet them (or steam them), that ash goes away, and leaves only the speckles
I expected saponification to happen much more quickly because of all the surface area with the cured soap speckles, but no acceleration happened. YMMV...

Next experiment will be with dark speckles on a light colored bar of soap.

1727304365611.png

1727304331960.png

1727304277000.png

Last edited:
@SoapyBenjamin could you please tell more about this method? I think I am misunderstanding your recipe above as a not super fluent English speaker 😔😅
I'm not Benjamin, but I think I can explain.

This is similar to confetti soap ‐ parts of finished soap are used in new soap. The difference here is the old soap is not only peeled/shredded, but also stick blended into the oils of the new soap. And from what I understand, he used 1 white old bar per batch of 10 new colored bars ‐ you can see the white parts inside.

Here's a short video showing the method - with more colors and bigger parts of the old soap

• I used one white bar of soap as the donor bar, per every ten bars of colored soap (lard & lye only, no scent)
  • I peeled the lard bars with a potato peeler and then stick blended in the oil until they reached the desired speckle size
  • Cold processed, typical recipe, no surprises
So he used 1 bar of white and shredded it.
But the rest 10 colored bars he also shreds and mixes with white one and then he adds it to new batter. Or the 10 colored bars he mentions are the new batter. Just this word game here gets me confused a bit.

So he used 1 bar of white and shredded it.
But the rest 10 colored bars he also shreds and mixes with white one and then he adds it to new batter. Or the 10 colored bars he mentions are the new batter. Just this word game here gets me confused a bit.
No worries! The 10 colored bars are the new batter, only the 1 white bar gets shreded in this case.

Edit: At least that's what I think, I hope he corrects me if I'm wrong

Here is the problem, the word 'lard' being used 2 times for different steps
🤓🧐🥵
Well, when I first saw it, I noticed the white spots in the colored soap - and I was like, okay, that's it. Plus he says at the end 'Next experiment will be with dark speckles on a light colored bar of soap.', so I assume it's the opposite this time - light in dark. The photos show the new color batches and the same kind of white soap blended inside, but this time next to them (from the same batch, but unused).

And then, I saw the same lines you quoted, and tbh their interpretation can be a little confusing (like, maybe both the white soap and the new colored batch were lard based?).

But I think when he says 'I used one white bar of soap as the donor bar, per every ten bars of colored soap (lard & lye only, no scent)', the description 'lard & lye only, no scent') is about the white soap, the donor soap (NOT the colored bars) - because that's what this line begins with, explanation of the soap he used to put inside.

Another part that may be confusing is when he says 'I peeled the lard barS with a potato peeler'. You may be thinking, wait, the white bar was supposed to be one, the colored ones are more - is he peeling them? But from what I understand, since there are 2 different types of colored soap, (green and blue) I guess there are at least 2 different batches with each using 1 white bar - so when he said barS he meant he used at least 2 white bars in this case, not that the colored ones were shreded.

That's the conclusion I came up with, I hope I got it correctly 😅

Back