How to get a soap with two colours on the face

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blue54899

Reaction score
Does anyone know how I can get a soap that is two-toned like this (e.g. the brown in the center slowly fading to white on the sides)

Attachments

• OlivuFeb2024-015__85794.jpg
    OlivuFeb2024-015__85794.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 0
Does anyone know how I can get a soap that is two-toned like this (e.g. the brown in the center slowly fading to white on the sides)
It is an oatmeal, milk and honey soap, looks like the oatmeal hasn't been thoroughly mixed through and the honey gives that colouring as well. Just don't mix it that much.

I agree with @Relle and also think that it might be a partial gel ring, as well. I have noticed in some soaps that some ingredients can get more concentrated right in the partial gel area. Not sure why it happens, but it is cosmetic so I’ve never worried about it.

Because of the design on the bar it looks like it was made in individual cavity molds. I would try leaving some of the batter plain (no additives) and pour a small amount of that into the mold first, followed by pouring batter with the additives directly into the center. That should push the plain batter to the edges.

I'm thinking:
-single cavity mold
- plain white soap batter that it was fluid enough to pour and get into the mold to give its details, precisely enough not to bubbles
- I'm thinking super fine, small amount of dusting of fine Oatmeal onto the bottom of the mold, then the fluid soap batter was gently poured on the mold. what you see on the picture it's the bottom of the soap. The list of ingredients would confirm if this is Oatmeal or something similar

Found the ingredients list.
I think it's a melt and pour base

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240824_125009_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240824_125009_Samsung Internet.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 0
@blue54899

I agree with @dibbles and @Lidiacgarcia . That is a single cavity mold with the design as part of the mold. But, you can do this in any single cavity mold with or without a design in it.

Although I'm a beginner and don't really recognize names of ingredients after saponification, it looks to me like it is melt and pour. I found the ingredients for Olivu 426's Oatmeal, Milk & Honey soap. A little different than @Lidiacgarcia 's post. I don't think I spot "honey" in the list????

Ingredients: Glycerin, propylene glycol, sodium cocoate, goat's milk, oatmeal powder, water, sodium stearate, sorbitol, sodium myristate, tocopherol, titanium dioxide, iron oxide, fragrance

But, I digress. I have done this with Melt & Pour. As @dibbles and @Lidiacgarcia said, just mix a small amount of base to which you will add the ground oatmeal (which you can grind yourself.) or oatmeal powder. Pour a thin layer on the bottom center part of the mold. Then immediately, before it cools, pour in some base that does NOT have ground oatmeal. Do not pour from high, pour really close to the mold so that the new hot soap base doesn't completely push away the first layer. You only want to disburse the first layer a little to the sides.
If you pour from high, it will completely push away the first layer and you'll probably end up with a more defined ring of the oatmeal base with the non colored batter staying in the center.

The ground oatmeal will discolor the base slightly. That's how you get the two toned look. If you want to be sure there is a little discoloration, add a fragrance that contains vanilla to the oatmeal base. That should get you this look.

Although I have only done this with M&P (where I do a two tone very gentle swirlish disbursal,) I think you can also do this with cold process, too. Just pour the first small amount of batter at a thin trace. Probably the second batter as well. If you grind your own oatmeal, it should be really fine. Take out any little pieces that look bigger as they will swell just a little in the finish product and the specs will not look as small as you see them on the Olivu 426 soap you posted.

If you give it a try, post your results!! I'd love to see how it turns out!!!

Ingredients: Glycerin, propylene glycol, sodium cocoate, goat's milk, oatmeal powder, water, sodium stearate, sorbitol, sodium myristate, tocopherol, titanium dioxide, iron oxide, fragrance

1724529907093.png

@blue54899 It occurs to me that this -ground oatmeal -two-tone look is throughout the soap! Not sure what I was thinking :rolleyes: duh....

In that case, you would pour the NON colored base first.

THEN FROM HIGH before the first pour has had a chance to cool , pour in the second base that contains the ground oatmeal/powder. Make sure your oatmeal is stirred really well into the base. If you pour from high, this will help to more completely displace the non colored batter to the sides.

To make sure the soap is two-toned throughout, you might have to do this in a couple layers to completely fill the mold. But a few practice pours will probably help you figure out the proportions.

So, clearly, to get the oatmeal & two tone throughout, the mold will require more of the base with the oatmeal than base without oatmeal.

Good luck!!!

NOTE: I actually really like that look! and I may have to try it myself!!
thanks for your post!!!

It occurs to me that this -ground oatmeal -two-tone look is throughout the soap! Not sure what I was thinking :rolleyes: duh....
Hi @akseattle
I think you were right.
This is what I found, a review mentioning exfoliation on the top layer.

And the other soaps that they sell have the same style, 2 layers.
Screenshot_20240824_184306_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240824_184334_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20240824_184306_Samsung Internet.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240824_184321_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240824_184321_Samsung Internet.jpg
    342.3 KB · Views: 0
Back