Gel phase success!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am starting to experiment with gelling goat milk soaps. This is a goat milk and vanilla recipe using benzoin resinoid as the only additive. I used a heating pad on low for about 3-4 hours, and had what looks like a successful gel. Pictures are partway through and coming out of gel phase. I turned the heating pad off and left the soap on it, wrapped in a towel to slowly cool to room temperature overnight. So exciting to see the transformation!

Attachments

• 20240423_174623.jpg
    20240423_174623.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240423_204135.jpg
    20240423_204135.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
That looks great! How is the scent? I personally love benzoin because I'm a vanilla-lover. :)

Along with my heating pad, I use a box with a lit to create a gelling "oven." In the past, I've used an overturned cardbox delivery box. Using boxes eliminates the need for towels, which I find bulky and somehow always finding their way into my soap while it it still wet. They also work better with the storage set-up in my soap room. But that's just my personal preference - either way works!

That looks great! How is the scent? I personally love benzoin because I'm a vanilla-lover. :)

Along with my heating pad, I use a box with a lit to create a gelling "oven." In the past, I've used an overturned cardbox delivery box. Using boxes eliminates the need for towels, which I find bulky and somehow always finding their way into my soap while it it still wet. They also work better with the storage set-up in my soap room. But that's just my personal preference - either way works!
It smells a little like car tires at the moment.😄 I've made this recipe before and the scent goes back to subtle vanilla as it cures.

The cardboard box I found to use for an insulator was 1/4" too short to fit over my mold. I'll keep looking out for one so I can eliminate the towel, too! Thank you for the suggestion. I didn't realize I could ditch the towel if using a box. That would be fantastic!

Latest posts

Back