2nd Attempt at Hot Process

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The second attempt at hot process went much better. The first picture is this latest batch, the second picture is the initial batch. I have cut them into different widths because I am curious how the curing process will affect the width. Here is my recipe. All percentages are of total recipe:

Water Phase:
Distilled Water-16.28%
Lye NaOH- 7.14%
Citric Acid- 1.03%

Oil Phase:
Tallow- 18.04%
Refined Coconut Oil- 18.04%
Lanolin- 7.72%
Jojoba Butter- 4.73%
Castor Oil- 7.73%

Post Cook Additives:
Sour Cream (I ran out of yogurt and didn't realize until I started)- 5.15%
Molasses- 5.15%
Rosemary Oleoresin- 0.47%
Goat Milk Powder- 2.58%
Kaolin Clay- 0.52%
Emu Oil- 2.58%
Pine Resin- 2.58%
Cinnamon Leaf EO- 0.26%

Notes:
I ran the initial batch way too hot and it got really dry, hence the crumbly nature. I was able to rebatch it with some other soap I had and added goat's milk. It came out fine once I let it cure for a few weeks.

This new batch I made sure I mixed the water/lye solution first and let it cool before adding it to the hot oil mixture. I also set the crockpot to keep warm instead of low like last time. This new batch was more fluid than the original. once it gelled and I mixed the post-cook additives, I poured it into the mold and let it set overnight to allow any remaining saponification. I then put it into the freezer for 12 hours. I have read that putting it into the freezer can help the crystallization process along. I cut it into pieces. I plan on weighing it weekly until I see little change in weight for the curing process. It is a touch sticky. I am assuming this is probably from the lanolin and hopefully it will go away as it cures.

Thoughts?

1000005852.jpg

1000005854.png

Attachments

• 1000005852.jpg
    1000005852.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 1000005854.png
    1000005854.png
    911.1 KB · Views: 0
The new bars look so much better -
great job!

I would recommend a piece of parchment paper or a silicone mat between the soap and the metal rack. Due to the high alkalinity of soap (esp fresh soap), the racks can develop cracks or subtle wearing of the stainless finish, exposing the soap to other metals underneath. That can trigger DOS.

I do love how you improvised with sour cream instead of yogurt. Nicely played!

The new bars look so much better -
great job!

I would recommend a piece of parchment paper or a silicone mat between the soap and the metal rack. Due to the high alkalinity of soap (esp fresh soap), the racks can develop cracks or subtle wearing of the stainless finish, exposing the soap to other metals underneath. That can trigger DOS.

I do love how you improvised with sour cream instead of yogurt. Nicely played!
That's a great point about the alkalinity and the metal. I just wanted to be sure it was getting a lot of airflow. I have a large silicone mat I can use. Thanks for that insight!

Back