First soap for 2011

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i wont be able to get started on soap for 2011 til at least thursday or friday when i get home...i had a surgery the other day and i gotta stay in philadelphia til the stitches come out...it was just minor but its taking away from soap making haha :)

Waiting on my delivery of new supplies, but my first soap of 2011 will be trying out my tea rose fo that's coming, so excited ^^

-Happy New Year :D

Ginger Lime for me. Can't wait to try the Rose Geranium I just bought.

Yesterday I made 5 batches. Mango, Oatmeal and Honey, Hyacinth/Rose, and first ever experiement soaps: Wine and goatsmilk. :(

Wine soap? Yucky brownish/purpley color. Blah.

Goatsmilk? Partial Gel....my first ever. So much for putting soap in the freezer again.

Hopefully the rest of 2011 soaping will be better! :D

Best wishes to all for a healthy and happy New Year!

Christmas gifts and dropping in on friends for the holidays has almost wiped me out... so I need to restock some of my staples. I also made a great new lip balm for Christmas but I only have 2 left so I need to get some more containers and make another batch.

Thought I might get around to using some of the samples that I orderd from peak when they had thier sale on them. I hate trying to do an itty bitty small batch in order to try out 1 oz samples, (which is why I haven't used them yet) but I got a couple of the Black Canyon, so I'll probably try a small batch of that today. I do love the manly fragrances. :)

Sparkling Rooibos Tea - an exuberant blend of fresh brewed organic rooibos tea, succulent mandarin and sparkling peppermint create a fresh blend perfect for summer. Colored with natural clay.

I just made a small batch of Cedarwood / Sage salt bars colored with alkanet root powder.
"They" say that what ever you do on the first of the year is what you'll be doing all year.
I sure hope so!!
Robin

Tomorrow....making my first swirl! Not with a new recipe. I have beer going flat so hope to make my first beer soap too.

Hmmmm, I dunno. I still have a lot of it curing. Have more leftover buttermilk from Christmas and I had to have that go to waste. After making cornbread to go with the black eyed peas, I may make a buttermilk and honey CP.
Using my first effort at laundry soap. Added too much water so it never got thick, but it did finally stop separating. I am using it on horse blankets and rags. It seemed a touch lye heavy to me.
I sure like this new hobby, but have 2 boxes of soap doing extra cure time......

Made a lemon & verbena scented soap with yellow & green swirls yesterday. Can hardly wait to cut it, but will wait another day. I didn't have time to make soap at all during December, so hope to make up for that this month!

Tomorrow I'm going to make my first batch of HP soap - kitchen soap with some odor fighting properties. On Thursday I made myself a wooden soap mold, and cut the wood for a soap cutting jig. I'll post pics once I take some!

01/01/11 Today's Soap

Figured we'd start the new year actually posting rather than just lurking. We being the Mr & myself.

We ended 2010 by making a nice 10x Orange/Lime EO swirl (attached).

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
We're starting 2011 with a Cinnamon Sugar bar. It's currently hibernating in the oven until tomorrow morning. :wink:
We managed to give away all of our soaps for Christmas so need to remake our favorites for our own use. :roll:

We've been soaping like mad since October and are clearly addicted. Cheers & thanks for all of the informative info we've used in the last few months. We appreciate it. :idea:

Ms B

xray, my dh cracked a rib coughing just recently and it took 2 months to get better. Hope your OK soon.

Relle.

Syndet shampoo bars, my first. The EO blend I used just happens to smell like the Herbal Essence from my childhood - go figure?!

My original attempt at a CP shampoo bar was a honey beer bar. Didn't work for my hair but has great lather so I remade it today but with hard apple cider and apple jack & peel FO from Peaks.

Happy New Year everybody.

judymoody said:
Syndet shampoo bars, my first. The EO blend I used just happens to smell like the Herbal Essence from my childhood - go figure?!

What EO blend did you use? I loved the old herbal essence smell!

Here I go again...embarrassing myself after people have posted pics of their beautiful soaps. On the other hand, I feel my sorry looking soaps are good examples for other new soapers. They can look at them and say "Well, I can do better than that!" :lol:

I hope my first 2 batches of this year aren't a prediction of what the rest will be like. I decided to use new FOs that I had gotten from NG. Aaargh! At least the 1 oz sizes limited the size of the batches. These were both experimental batches because I had some left over whipping cream and I was curious about how it might affect the lather.

First batch - Sugar Cookie Brulee Salt Bar

I was trying for a St. Patrick's theme soap but the FO discolored and you can't see the green and gold micas I used. :cry: Although it smells good. You can see in the pic where a part of the loaf crumbled.

Second batch - Forbidden Fruit

Once I put the FO in, it accelerated rapidly. I ended up having to beat the soap into submission and used my hands to smooth it down. I've read about other people having batches seize on them and I think I might have just experienced it. The last 2 colors I tried to "pour" into the mold came out as cup shaped lumps of soap. Hence the beating and slapping around of the soap. :lol:

It was still a bit soft so I only cut a couple of bars. I'll have to check it tomorrow to see if it's ready to cut.

I realised I'm an addict, when I was staying with my kids in Sydney ... and instead of planning where to go and the adventure for the next day, i was planning soaps to make when I got home to south aussie!

I'm hoping to make nag champa, or dragon bloods or maybe lavender ... decisions, decisions, decisions.

I think I'm heading home to New Zealand within the next few days as my Mum is very ill ... but I know I'll keep planning for my first batches of soap for 2011!

my first soap for 2011...high CO bars:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I used canned coconut milk (has guar gum) but only two oz. of it...no problems at all in this batch so I think I can up it next time. The recipe is from this forum..I used 75% CO, 25% lard, 15% superfat. I mixed Coconut Lemongrass and Pineapple Cilantro for the scent. Nothing exciting to look at, lol...I don't have a yellow colorant for CP. The only thing I'm thinking after I made this is maybe I should have done 20% SF, but can't wait to try these out!

Latest posts

Back