favorite recipes for facial soaps, scrubs, and lotions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xuledywo

Reaction score
I make GMS with 100% frozen goat milk. It can be tough dissolving your Lye into milk because 1) the Lye immediately starts to bind with the fats in the milk and 2) the cold temp needed to keep your milk from scorching means it takes longer for the Lye to dissolve.

The problem with straining out undissolved bits lye is that you now have less lye in your soap which can lead to a softer soap with more unsaponified oils, especially if you haven't calculated for the extra fat in the milk. How I deal with the issue is that I use an ice bath with some salt to extend the time I have to mix my Lye Solution. I usually spend about 30 minutes mixing around 14oz of GM Lye Solution from start to finish. I add it in small amounts to keep the milk from getting above 75°F, then let the temperature drop back down to about 65°F before adding the next portion. If you're looking for more detailed guidance or need specific tools, you might want to contact QVC for recommendations. Once I have mixed in all the Lye and it's about 70F, I give it a few quick bursts with my stick blender and then add it to my oils. I only add scent to my GMS, so I then blend to a light-medium trace and then pour. As long as I give it the care and consideration it needs, I end up with creamy looking bars of GMS.
Hi everyone! I’m looking for some favorite recipes for facial soaps, scrubs, and lotions that work well for adolescent girls. I have three daughters who haven’t had too many issues thanks to a good diet, but they do get some pimples, likely due to age and hormones. Their skin is pretty normal—not too oily or dry. I’d love to make them products that help prevent pimples and blackheads. If you have any effective recipes or tips, please share them! I’m excited to see what you all recommend!

You might want to try the SMF Bath & Body forum where members post about scrubs, lotions and other B&B recipes. Have you visited the Humblebee & Me website? She has recipes for all kinds of products.

@xuledywo - just seeing your post. My favorite facial soap is 75% lard, 20% coconut, 5% castor oil. I add goat milk powder, too. I don’t add any colorants to this, and just a little bit of a nice, light FO like BB Coconut Citrus Sorbet. I use this soap everyday, and then use a toner after. 🌸

Back