Facial Cleanser for mature sensitive skin?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've tried the products with Bakuchiol. I don't know if it works just yet but I do know my skin hasn't had a bad reaction to it.Time will tell.
As long as you’re not reacting to it, it’s great that you’re trying it out. It definitely has antioxidant properties. From what I’ve read, it’s gentle. I’ve tried commercial products with it, and they don’t compare to rx retinoids, but I suppose that’s an unreasonable comparison!

I have tried oil cleansing, but have not found an oil that works for me yet. Coconut, olive, avocado, and sweet almond all give me terrible breakouts; coconut oil also makes my skin peel. Cleansing with castor oil makes my skin look amazing, but also makes my facial hair grow like crazy. o_O

Any other suggestions?

That's good to know! I found some much less expensive bakuchiol on Lotioncrafter. I'm still comparing the two and trying to figure out what's different. The expensive one sold by MakingCosmetics says it includes water, but also says (like all the others) that bakuchiol isn't water soluble. Huh?
That's interesting. Please post your results.

As long as you’re not reacting to it, it’s great that you’re trying it out. It definitely has antioxidant properties. From what I’ve read, it’s gentle. I’ve tried commercial products with it, and they don’t compare to rx retinoids, but I suppose that’s an unreasonable comparison!
I'd rather have natural stuff anyway. I have sensitive skin but I'm willing to give it all a try just to see. As long as it doesn't kill me lol.

I'd rather have natural stuff anyway. I have sensitive skin but I'm willing to give it all a try just to see. As long as it doesn't kill me lol.
Good to stick with what you know you like with skincare. You mentioned that oil cleansing was a hit/miss. Have you tried making a cleansing balm with a COSMOS or EcoCert emulsifier? Because I use rx Retinoids, I try to go gently with cleansing - I’ve made some cleansing balms that have been really effective. If you’re interested, let me know. I’d be happy to give you the formula off of which I’ve built my cleansing balm formulas.

Regardless, good luck to you!

I received an email today from NDA, advertising their sale on skincare ingredients. Out of curiosity, I looked at their bakuchiol, but was disappointed to find that it is mixed with propanediol. I like propanediol in my lotions, but looking at the SDS, it appears that this mix can vary in the concentration of both ingredients - which isn't acceptable to me.

So, I looked on MakingCosmetics. Yup, they have bakuchiol, mixed only with water. Price = $98.80 per fl oz./30ml.

o_O:oops:
Try LotionCrafter. They have 99% Bakuchiol priced at $47.25 for 30g.

I'm not OP, but grapefruit seed oil might be a good one...
And then there's grape seed oil too...
Ooo ~ grape seed oil! Or maybe rose hips seed oil or hemp seed oil?
For me, it was the combo of coconut and olive ~ either alone is a no, but together 👍🏼 Plus, I apply a light film, just enough that my hands glide over my skin without any drag and massage it in for just a few seconds, then do the hot/warm/cold wipe with a wash cloth.
I don't scrub or leave it on very long at all and I put on my rosehip seed oil right after while my skin is damp, I don't even take a towel to it at all ~ my skin is dry enough, I want all the moisture!

Good to stick with what you know you like with skincare. You mentioned that oil cleansing was a hit/miss. Have you tried making a cleansing balm with a COSMOS or EcoCert emulsifier? Because I use rx Retinoids, I try to go gently with cleansing - I’ve made some cleansing balms that have been really effective. If you’re interested, let me know. I’d be happy to give you the formula off of which I’ve built my cleansing balm formulas.

Regardless, good luck to you!
Yes, it's more that I don't like how it feels. It's great to remove makeup but I always feel the need to wash my face with soap after.

When I was younger, I was on antibiotics that cleared my skin but caused yeast-related problems. My skin really went downhill after menopause. I developed full-blown cystic acne. I was prescribed Spironolactone and my skin was beautiful, but I was concerned about the (albeit low) possibility of cancer with this particular drug.
I did a little research and learned that there was a good chance that I was actually experiencing Malassezia folliculitis (fungal acne), which is treated differently that bacterial acne (Google "Malassezia" or "Pityrosporum folliculitis").
One of the best things I have found for keeping my skin clear is to wash my face twice a day with a zinc-based dandruff shampoo, occasional gentle exfoliation with baking soda mixed with a little of the shampoo, using a mixture of aloe vera gel and glycerin (no oil) to moisturize and mop up mid-day oil slicks with witch hazel on a cotton pad.
Not the most elegant, but it works for me.
Cat

When I was younger, I was on antibiotics that cleared my skin but caused yeast-related problems. My skin really went downhill after menopause. I developed full-blown cystic acne. I was prescribed Spironolactone and my skin was beautiful, but I was concerned about the (albeit low) possibility of cancer with this particular drug.
I did a little research and learned that there was a good chance that I was actually experiencing Malassezia folliculitis (fungal acne), which is treated differently that bacterial acne (Google "Malassezia" or "Pityrosporum folliculitis").
One of the best things I have found for keeping my skin clear is to wash my face twice a day with a zinc-based dandruff shampoo, occasional gentle exfoliation with baking soda mixed with a little of the shampoo, using a mixture of aloe vera gel and glycerin (no oil) to moisturize and mop up mid-day oil slicks with witch hazel on a cotton pad.
Not the most elegant, but it works for me.
Cat
Interesting. I do have tinea versicolor but that's a different thing. It's a skin fungal infection that never quite goes away. I've had it since I was ten years old. Everyones skin has the fungus on it that causes it but it gets out of control on some people. It's definitely not this though.

I haven't had this problem since I was a teenager. And even then, this seems worse somehow. Like I can feel that my skin is oilier. Which I don't get because I'm actually past menopause and have been for years. I've started using moisturizer and it seems to help,

Interesting. I do have tinea versicolor but that's a different thing. It's a skin fungal infection that never quite goes away. I've had it since I was ten years old. Everyones skin has the fungus on it that causes it but it gets out of control on some people. It's definitely not this though.

I haven't had this problem since I was a teenager. And even then, this seems worse somehow. Like I can feel that my skin is oilier. Which I don't get because I'm actually past menopause and have been for years. I've started using moisturizer and it seems to help,
Use a really good moisturizer on your face that is oil free. Your face is oily because it is dehydrated. I would suggest products that don’t completely strip your face clean. If a product causes a tight feeling or squeaky clean feeling then you may not want to use it. Hyaluronic acid is great for oily skin. I have a pretty nice regimen for my skin. One thing that may be helpful is a DIY sheet mask. I use them daily and love how to moisturize my skin.

Use a really good moisturizer on your face that is oil free. Your face is oily because it is dehydrated. I would suggest products that don’t completely strip your face clean. If a product causes a tight feeling or squeaky clean feeling then you may not want to use it. Hyaluronic acid is great for oily skin. I have a pretty nice regimen for my skin. One thing that may be helpful is a DIY sheet mask. I use them daily and love how to moisturize my skin.
Thank you. :)

I have tried oil cleansing, but have not found an oil that works for me yet. Coconut, olive, avocado, and sweet almond all give me terrible breakouts; coconut oil also makes my skin peel. Cleansing with castor oil makes my skin look amazing, but also makes my facial hair grow like crazy. o_O

Any other suggestions?
I"m a castor oil junkie, but I have been enjoying straight apple seed oil on my face the past few months. Its been kind with my outdoor lifestyle.

I'm finding that simple works best for me. I can't stand anything on my face and I have highly reactive skin. Oils used for cleansing and/or moisturizing not only cause breakouts for me, but also leave my face shiny and makes my fine lines much more pronounced. I've been using my own version of unscented ZNSC (10%CO, 5%Castor, & aloe gel added). Nothing else. I only use it in the shower where I can lightly rub away any dead skin cells (exfoliate by hand?) directly afterward and rinse. If used more than once a day, like anything else, my skin starts to dry and then tries to compensate by going into oil production overdrive. I'm considering making DIY B&B's B3/B5 gel to try as a facial moisturizer. I may buy some already made from someone else first, though, so I can try it before deciding whether to invest in the needed ingredients.

I'm finding that simple works best for me. I can't stand anything on my face and I have highly reactive skin. Oils used for cleansing and/or moisturizing not only cause breakouts for me, but also leave my face shiny and makes my fine lines much more pronounced. I've been using my own version of unscented ZNSC (10%CO, 5%Castor, & aloe gel added). Nothing else. I only use it in the shower where I can lightly rub away any dead skin cells (exfoliate by hand?) directly afterward and rinse. If used more than once a day, like anything else, my skin starts to dry and then tries to compensate by going into oil production overdrive. I'm considering making DIY B&B's B3/B5 gel to try as a facial moisturizer. I may buy some already made from someone else first, though, so I can try it before deciding whether to invest in the needed ingredients.
Sounds like we have similar skin! Have you tried plain aloe vera gel (no alcohol or scent) as a moisturizer? Plain hyaluronic acid serum is nice, too. You can find a very basic recipe for that on here Lotioncrafter.com - nothing but HA and distilled water. My skin loves it, especially with a very light film of AVJ over it.

Latest posts

Back