Extremely fine pumice experiment was a total success!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, fellow soapers... I'm in an incredibly good mood. Why, might you ask? Because—for the first time—one of my crazy ideas actually produced the results I was hoping for... On the first attempt!

The thought process:
  • Instead of the familiar (somewhat) waxy/crayon texture of regular lye-based soap, I asked myself, how does one make the soap texture (wet or dry) a little more "grabby" without any exfoliant scrubbiness?
  • I wanted a matte-like texture that had some non-slip properties, but not enough to stop me from bathing... Just enough to not feel like it would shoot out of my hands with a hard squeeze.
  • I figured I would try a 2-to-1 ratio of pumice-to-kaolin clay, just in case the pumice turned out to be more exfoliating than I had hoped... It didn't. The pumice is just too fine (around 75 microns)...
1726278662230.png

I made 8-9 batches of soap (1,000 kg), with slight variances in the recipe, all with the same amount of pumice and kaolin clay—which at first glance, looks like a lot!

I soaped at about 100° F, with a 2:1 water-to-lye ratio, and a 5% superfat.

One of the recipes:
  • 31% Coconut oil
  • 31% Palm oil
  • 31% Olive oil
  • 7% Castor oil
Additives (% of oil weight):
  • 3% Sorbitol
  • 2% Sodium lactate
  • 2% Cetyl alcohol
  • 3% Sodium citrate
  • 0.5% EDTA
  • 0.25% ROE (7% CA)
  • 4% EO or FO
And... Wait for it...
  • 5% Kaolin clay
  • 10% #FFFF Pumice
I couldn't be happier... It's almost subliminal (which is exactly what I was looking for). I didn't want people to say, "Hey, this feels like sandpaper." Both my wife and I love it.

Note: I do recommend pouring your batch at a medium/thick trace, however. Clay and extra fine pumice do not sink, but the thicker trace (I feel) ensures an equal distribution. Some good stick blending accomplishes both a faster trace and good distribution.

Where to buy:
Let me know if you decide to try it and how it works out for you. Thanks!

ETA: No negative effect on lather... The creamier recipes are just as creamy, and the bubblier recipes are just as bubbly as they are without the pumice and clay.

Last edited:
Some follow-up thoughts...
  • Exfoliation: This pumice/clay recipe is not exfoliating from a sensory perspective. If you're trying to make a "mechanics soap" or a more noticeably exfoliating soap, you'll want to go with a much larger particle size. However, having said that, I believe it might be micro-exfoliating. In other words, it's very likely to have some exfoliating effect at a level you can't feel. FWIW, I love the way it feels on the skin.
  • Why kaolin? The addition of kaolin clay might also seem counterintuitive. If I wanted a surface texture that was a little more "grabby," why would I add another ingredient that is known to be "slippy?" Good question... I don't know, but I am reluctant to change the formula because I'm so happy with the result. I suppose I could eliminate the kaolin clay and use less pumice... One day, I may try this.
  • Lather: You might have noticed the (slightly higher) use of coconut oil and other bubble-enhancing additives. I wasn't sure if the pumice would act as a "lather killer," so I hedged my bet and adjusted the recipe (ever so slightly) to account for this assumption. It's hard to tell if this made any difference vs. the same recipes without. I didn't notice any difference, and I'm more than willing to keep those adjustments as permanent changes to the recipe.
  • Mainstay: Is this addition going to be a part of all my formulas moving forward? Yes... It's that good... IMO. Who doesn't want a differentiator in their formulations?

Latest posts

Back