Extracting Chlorophyll

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smartinoff

Reaction score
I've seen chlorophyll available as a soap colorant but I was wondering if I extracted it myself with acetone, if that could be used instead of the commercially available stuff? I'm not sure of the reactivity of the acetone in soap. Or can I use the chlorophyll that I can get at the drugstore?

I have the stuff from the drugstore and want to use, just haven't gotten to it yet.

I would be very worried about the reaction of the acetone in the soap, maybe someone here has more info on the chemistry of it.

I think you can actually extract it with water, but the length of the process would make it a pita with either solvents or h20..

You could basically put whatever green pant matter you are going to use (a lot of it) into a pot, bring to a booil, and keep adding water as the water boils off... Let it boil for like 3 to 4 hrs adding bits of water for the first 2, once the water has turned color, strain plant matter of all the liquid using cheesecloth, and boil all water/liquid off... Once all water is boiled off you will be left with green chlorophyll residue that you can scrape off the bottom and sides with a razor knife...

For the amount of time it takes I'd rather just buy the stuff lol

try this method with spinach or anything really dark green

http://www.scienceprojectlab.com/easy-s ... phyll.html

for the solvent use either rubbing alcohol (isopropanol) or acetone (nail polish remover). Or get a bottle of everclear as solvent (ethanol)

Ian has the right idea by just boiling down the mixture with water, but this might be a little faster.

Also remember you will be boiling off most of the solvent before you add it to your soap, but you might have to leave a little bit in to make your dark green syrup extract remain liquid and pourable.

I don't think there will be a reaction between the soap and the acetone, soap is a relatively stable molecule and as long as the temperature is relatively low the acetone wont react or decompose.

I used to own a hand operated wheatgrass juicer which I'm sure would do a great job (a shotglass of fresh squeezed chlorophyl for breakfast every morning...yum) bought it at a health food store for about $70...

jamaicasoap said:
try this method with spinach or anything really dark green

http://www.scienceprojectlab.com/easy-s ... phyll.html

for the solvent use either rubbing alcohol (isopropanol) or acetone (nail polish remover). Or get a bottle of everclear as solvent (ethanol)

Ian has the right idea by just boiling down the mixture with water, but this might be a little faster.

Also remember you will be boiling off most of the solvent before you add it to your soap, but you might have to leave a little bit in to make your dark green syrup extract remain liquid and pourable.

I don't think there will be a reaction between the soap and the acetone, soap is a relatively stable molecule and as long as the temperature is relatively low the acetone wont react or decompose.

I def agree that with soap alone the isopropanol may be sufficient, but you also have to account for the FO, EO that may be added... From what I've seen it may sometimes lead to seizing when combined with the right (wrong) FO or EO...

The juicing idea is great, but the lye monster turns that lovely green liquid into brown nastiness :( I wish there was a way to prevent it from discoloring organic matter, but its just the way it goes... I've opted for using inert colorants as much as possible... If you can find green clay.... That's prob the best bet for a green coloring other than using an oxide or mica :)

Latest posts

Back