Do U know of a site that lists expiration dates for b&b/soaping ingredients?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marya

Reaction score
Edit: found a chart of oils' expiration dates :)

Here is what I found from Soap Queen. Thanks to everyone who's recommended her site. Really helpful!:

http://images.soapqueen.com.s3.amazonaws.com/Shelf Life of Oils/oil chart letter size NEW.pdf

Hello -

Can anyone recommend a site that lists many b&b/soap-making ingredients' shelf lives? I have some oils/butters myself that are even older (i used to make soap and candles when I learned how in 2004 and I'd like to get back into it). I'm sure those things are waaaay too old, however even they still seem to smell fine (weird)! They've been stored in a cool dark basement though.

Anyway some of the ingredients are:

- cocoa butter (2007)
- shea butter (older)
- macadamia nut oil (2007 - never opened)
- shea oil (2007 - never opened)
- RBO (2007 - never opened)
-coconut milk powder (2007 - not so soft feeling anymore, through the package, but still will powder up if I push it between my fingers - and has never been opened)

-AquaEm (2007 - Has tape around the lid like the other unopened ones but seems not to be filled to the top so not sure whether it's been used before.
-Natrasorb Bath - 2007 - a LOT of it
-soy wax (C-3) flakes (for veggie container candles) - a LOT of this, too.

-Lots and lots and LOTS of fragrance oils, 90% which still smell good as new (not many EO's - although they smell fine too).

Just found this on about.com about old lotions and other beauty products in one's house:
"Unopened products that are still sealed usually have a shelf life of 3-5 years or more, so don't be concerned about the products on the shelf. As long as they stay sealed, they will last many years. The time only starts counting down when you open it."
Hmmm...

Thank you!
Marya

Last edited:
Thanks again Dagmar. The RBO has never been opened but the shea butter has. Shea oil however has not.

I'd toss the ricebran oil and the shea butter if that's been opened.
All the other things should be fine for personal use and gifts.

I taste the oils if I am in doubt. I would make soap for myself with the other ingredients. The RBO I would pitch.

Ewww I'd be afraid to taste it! :lol: Well all agree it's time to say goodbye to the RBO. Thanks!

I taste the oils if I am in doubt. I would make soap for myself with the other ingredients. The RBO I would pitch.

I found this link about making soap with rancid oil. I probably wouldn't use it for personal use myself, but maybe for a laundry soap?

http://handmadesoapcoach.com/dont-throw-out-that-rancid-oil-make-soap/

I've also read that you can wash rancid oil with a salt brine. I copy/paste bits of info as I come across them online and I can't remember where I found this, but in my notes I have this written;

Freshen up rancid oil using salt brine.
Wash your oil with a brine made of 1 part salt to 10 parts of 180-degree water. You should have equal parts of water to oil. Stir vigorously until it looks cloudy, then allow it to separate. Pour off the oil with a gravy separator and throw away the brine. Repeat.

Another place I read to boil the oil and salt brine and then separate and repeat.

Oils are very expensive here where I live and I would hate to throw anything away I could save, so maybe it's worth a try? I have never tried it myself, though. I use up oils faster than I can afford to buy new ones, but maybe it would be just fine to use for dog soaps or laundry soaps.

So glad you shared that!! I've been really curious about making homemade laundry soap but didn't think of it as hight enough up on the list of priorities just yet...but I have OLD oils/butters that have been stored in tight containers in a cold old basement. There's a good chance they're rancid but now, who cares! I can use them for laundry soap! :)

I found this link about making soap with rancid oil. I probably wouldn't use it for personal use myself, but maybe for a laundry soap?

http://handmadesoapcoach.com/dont-throw-out-that-rancid-oil-make-soap/

I've also read that you can wash rancid oil with a salt brine. I copy/paste bits of info as I come across them online and I can't remember where I found this, but in my notes I have this written;

Freshen up rancid oil using salt brine.
Wash your oil with a brine made of 1 part salt to 10 parts of 180-degree water. You should have equal parts of water to oil. Stir vigorously until it looks cloudy, then allow it to separate. Pour off the oil with a gravy separator and throw away the brine. Repeat.

Another place I read to boil the oil and salt brine and then separate and repeat.

Oils are very expensive here where I live and I would hate to throw anything away I could save, so maybe it's worth a try? I have never tried it myself, though. I use up oils faster than I can afford to buy new ones, but maybe it would be just fine to use for dog soaps or laundry soaps.

Latest posts

Back