Cutting Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just use a ruler and a dough cutter. There's also different soap cutters for different looks (straight vs crinkle), and a large contraption with wires that cuts your bars into perfectly equal pieces.

Some people use a miter box from Home Depot or Lowes and a sharp kitchen knife. Some people just use a kitchen knife, no miter box. There are some pretty fancy soap cutters on the market too.

Experiment and find what works best for you. Personally, I get crumbly smushed bars every time I use a soap cutter yet I get excellent results with a sharp knife and miter box.

I took a piece of thinner ply wood and cut it down to size and then cut out the center and then at about an inch apart I took fishing line and nailed them in place. It ain't no tank, but it works and has worked for me for over a year and no broken strings. I couldn't cut a straight bar of soap with a knife if my life depended on it!

A knife, a cutting board and a square ruler. It is just as simple as that. My ruler is a 4" by 4" marked square. I put it under my soap log and cut my bars of soap, moving the ruler when needed. One day I will get the longer one, but this works just fine for me now.

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/f30/new-soap-cutter-31185/

Check out this thread. The link to the Etsy soap cutter maker is real good. One of the cheaper but best made I have seen yet. I just got one of the single blades. Real well make and not real expensive. He also does multi bar cutter too.

Here is another thread that has some more suggestions too.
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/f30/loaf-cutters-slicers-31575/

If you do a search you will find lots of different ideas for cutters. It is a topic which comes up alot. Search function is up top above the Soap Making Forum logo. If you hit on the arrow you can do an advance search for topic only.

I don't sell my soap, so I just go with the natural look of each one being a "one of a kind!" Recently though, I did use a ruler to mark each inch onto my soap and cut accordingly. Still not perfect, but good enough for who it's for!

I took a piece of thinner ply wood and cut it down to size and then cut out the center and then at about an inch apart I took fishing line and nailed them in place. It ain't no tank, but it works and has worked for me for over a year and no broken strings. I couldn't cut a straight bar of soap with a knife if my life depended on it!

It sounds interesting. But... I cannot picture it very well.. Do you have any picture to show?

Back