Curing

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I messed up an order I’m supposed to have some soap ready for a customer at the end of the month so I had to remake the batch yesterday. Do you think a fan would help with the short amount of cure time or should I just not give them to her?

@Katsby, I don't think your soap will be as nice if it's not cured properly.
As a consumer, I always appreciate being given a choice.
For example, "I had an issue xxxxx with my last batch, you can take this soap now, but know that you will want it to cure for another xxxx weeks before using, or would you prefer to pick it up when it's had a chance to cure? Maybe give customer an additional small soap gift for her understanding? Hopefully these aren't time sensitive wedding favors.....

I'm not sure if a fan would help speed up curing time, someone else might have more experience with that. I think using a higher lye concentration helps soap cure a little faster. But, my vote would be to share what happened with the customer and then give them choice.

Good ventilation helps with the water loss, but that's not the only aspect of curing. All soap benefits from at least a month long cure as the bare minimum, some recipes need more than that and others need a lot more. I think if you give the soap to her like this (after 2 weeks or so), she may notice difference and drop in quality - the soap may melt faster, it doesn't lather that well, feels a little harsher than usual, etc

With that being said, I agree with @akseattle - acknowledge the issue and seek a workaround

@Katsby, I don't think your soap will be as nice if it's not cured properly.
As a consumer, I always appreciate being given a choice.
For example, "I had an issue xxxxx with my last batch, you can take this soap now, but know that you will want it to cure for another xxxx weeks before using, or would you prefer to pick it up when it's had a chance to cure? Maybe give customer an additional small soap gift for her understanding? Hopefully these aren't time sensitive wedding favors.....

I'm not sure if a fan would help speed up curing time, someone else might have more experience with that. I think using a higher lye concentration helps soap cure a little faster. But, my vote would be to share what happened with the customer and then give them choice.
Good plan. I’ll do that

Back