Curing options

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanessaP

Reaction score
What material do you cure your soaps on? I'm looking at shelving online before I try to buy in-store, at Lowe's or Walmart. Not sure I'm going to wait until I go to IKEA, especially since I have one batch curing, and 3 more planned before I get to go to IKEA - its a 3 hour one way drive to get to my closest one.

Looks like my options are plastics/resins, steel (doesn't say stainless, just steel?), or wood. I hesitate using wood (especially if I make my own using untreated) if there's any seepage from the soaps during the start of the curing time, as I wouldn't want scent crossing from a previous cure. I can always get cardboard or other lining to set under the soap on the shelf while its curing. God knows we have enough boxes :lol:

I looked at the prices for the Antonius system that dirrdee posted a few weeks ago, and I could totally afford that and it looks really usable and its stackable (for the shorter model at least). But IKEA doesn't ship a lot of the small stuff, just the larger stuff like sofas and mattresses I think. I know they won't let you buy the Antonius stuff online, I just checked :(

I have some old plastic Pepsi & Coke cases that are open grids that work very well. I can stack them and still have air flow. I do want to build a rack to hold them, but for now I just stack them.

sorry but i would advise against the ikea antonius system - i've got 6 and they ALL fall apart when you put anything of any weight (i'm talking less than a kilo) in the drawers. the drawer just comes off the tracks, every time you open it and even sometines when you don't lol!

i think they'd be fine if you have them wedged into a space or maybe bolted at the sides to wooden uprights but we've resorted to strapping the legs of ours in various places with those plastic straps that you have to cut to get undone and it still doesn't make any difference - it just makes the whole set of 3 towers lean to one side.

just saying........... :oops:

jax1962 said:
sorry but i would advise against the ikea antonius system - i've got 6 and they ALL fall apart when you put anything of any weight (i'm talking less than a kilo) in the drawers. the drawer just comes off the tracks, every time you open it and even sometines when you don't lol!

i think they'd be fine if you have them wedged into a space or maybe bolted at the sides to wooden uprights but we've resorted to strapping the legs of ours in various places with those plastic straps that you have to cut to get undone and it still doesn't make any difference - it just makes the whole set of 3 towers lean to one side.

Great to know -- best coming from someone who has used them! Thanks!

jax1962 said:

Knock on wood, I have not had any issues with mine thus far. I have had it for a little over a month, and I have in the top drawer all the bath fizz stuff, which the box is pretty heavy, and the drawers hold up great.
I am curing 2 batches of soap in the lower bins.

Well, I broke down and bought two 4 shelf resin systems at Lowe's last night for $15 each. I have a bunch of collapsible cooling racks like you'd use for cookies, so I can stack them since there's probably a good 12-18" in shelf height. Good thing too, because I need to get one of them set up tonight to get the latest batch off the dining table :lol:

I am closing out my online quilt shop, and so have quite a few shelving units we got at Costco. Most of these will now be used for soaps. I like those boxes they give you at Costco when you buy stuff - the ones with handle holes and short sides. I line them with paper, then stand my cut soap in them and place them on the shelves. That way, I can take the box off the shelf easily to turn the soap.

I have a pine pantry cupboard ( purchased especially for soaps) that we added extra shelving into and I line the shelves with 3 layers of baking paper. I have never had any problems with drying on wood as you turn the bars anyway.
I used to use plastic shelves that look like bread racks but found when the soaps were really soft it would leave marks on the bars.

Hope you find something suitable for you :)

Latest posts

Back