Cupuacu body butter will not “fluff” when whipped

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I’m new here…my first post! I‘ve been reading through so many suggestions. I love it. I have so many questions! I’m fairly new (6 mo) to making anhydrous and emulsified BB, but have tried many different recipes already. I tried a very simple oil/cupuacu body butter (I love the cupuacu but it doesn’t seem to be the easiest to work with). It just will not fluff up when I whip it. I have remelted, freezer cooled, and whipped the same batch 3x adding more oil each time. It’s greasy in a way that’s almost gummy thick greasy (I’ve used cornstarch). This seems to be occurring with other whipped butters as well. I had it down at one point (Shea & mango) where it was fluffy- not spongy or pasty greasy thick and slick. Am I whipping too long? Apologies for the long post. TY ❤️

The choice of oils can have a big difference on the skin feel. You might post your recipe and method so people can evaluate the recipe(s) you've tried and the production steps you're using

The choice of oils can have a big difference on the skin feel. You might post your recipe and method so people can evaluate the recipe(s) you've tried and the production steps you're using
Thx, DeeAnna……..I actually used the very recipe Isg posted the link to (above). 8 g cupuacu, 5 g lightweight oil, coco-caprylate and fractionated coconut oil I did use camellia oil and Apricot oil instead of Passion fruit oil. I made two of the small batches separately but combined to whip. I whip in a glass bowl I keep in the fridge or freezer so I know it did not get too warm. I am thinking I may have gotten the oil ratio wrong (I am always doing 100 things at once). I kept adding a bit more oil with no Luck. Can you over whip body butter? I did purchase the cupuacu butter from a different supplier. It seemed especially brittle. I want to try and save the formula I made…the butter is so expensive. Should I heat it again with more oil , cool and whip again? Looks like I can upload a photo here ….it actually looks really bad, lol! There isn’t anything in there that should make it “gummy.” It’s harder in the smaller jar

Thx, DeeAnna……..I actually used the very recipe Isg posted the link to (above). 8 g cupuacu, 5 g lightweight oil, coco-caprylate and fractionated coconut oil I did use camellia oil and Apricot oil instead of Passion fruit oil. I made two of the small batches separately but combined to whip. I whip in a glass bowl I keep in the fridge or freezer so I know it did not get too warm. I am thinking I may have gotten the oil ratio wrong (I am always doing 100 things at once). I kept adding a bit more oil with no Luck. Can you over whip body butter? I did purchase the cupuacu butter from a different supplier. It seemed especially brittle. I want to try and save the formula I made…the butter is so expensive. Should I heat it again with more oil , cool and whip again? Looks like I can upload a photo here ….it actually looks really bad, lol! There isn’t anything in there that should make it “gummy.” It’s harder in the smaller jar
It feels nice but looks pretty disgusting

Attachments

• IMG_2780.jpeg
    IMG_2780.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2787.jpeg
    IMG_2787.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2788.jpeg
    IMG_2788.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
You are welcome. :)

To fix this current batch, I would actually add more butter, not more oil. That would stiffen up the structure and make it less likely to separate as easily. I'd also put the whole mix in the fridge, along with the bowl, so it is quite cold when you start whipping.

Good luck!

Back