Coconut oil?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nightingale

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to soap making. So all I have been following is recipes I can find online to try out first.

But almost every recipe has coconut oil in it.

And I have a friend who would like for me to make her some soap but she is highly allergic to coconut. So I been wondering if I can make any without it but have yet to find any recipes that do not include it.

I'm fairly new to soap making. So all I have been following is recipes I can find online to try out first.

But almost every recipe has coconut oil in it.

And I have a friend who would like for me to make her some soap but she is highly allergic to coconut. So I been wondering if I can make any without it but have yet to find any recipes that do not include it.
You can use palm kernel oil as a coconut oil substitute. Similar properties.

I made some nice bastille soap with 75% olive oil, 25% goat tallow and 100% goat milk instead of water. It is still improving after 4 months, but I am confident it will be a really nice soap. I'm planning to make another batch soon.

A note about tallow - I noticed that goat tallow has twice the cleansing properties as beef tallow, allowing for more bubbles than beef tallow. It also takes slightly less lye than beef tallow.

Anyway, that would be one way to make a soap without coconut oil. I hope you find something that helps your friend.

Back